Sorry if this is a taboo question around here (beginner!)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does seem a slightly peculiar time to get back into golf - or maybe a really sensible one - but welcome and welcome back.

Also a fan of 2nd hand rather than new - I've only ever bought 1 new set of clubs. Pays to know what you want though. Looking at Ebay, there don't seem to be anywhere the good value selection of the brands that are good value new (Benross/MD). I'd guess folk simply park them in the garage/loft rather than selling them on. However, older game improvement irons from the likes of Ping or Mizuno can be found for around £100 and I'd say the whole setup could be acquired for £250 or less. Shoes are likely to be the largest relative cost, but you could get away with trainers on pay-and-play courses - and I don't have a problem buying quality used ones (though some do).

Good Lick - specially with th new arrival!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Although it is the best way, beware when taking the 2nd hand brand-name route

You'll not see many fake Wilsons/Dunlops for sale !!

Picto

Club Champion
Visit site
Wow! thank you for all the helpful responses everyone :thup: and I thought I'd get shot down in flames with that question!!

Yes, the timing to take up golf might seem a bit odd with a little one on the way in a matter of days! My current sports (mountain biking, surfing, windsurfing, sailing, etc) though tend to take me away for whole days at a time, if not days at a time!! My mrs and I agreed that because I wouldn't get as much chance to do those sports for the next year or two, that getting away for a few hours for a round or an hour down the range should be much more do-able! Luckily me and my Mrs are really chilled out and have agreed to force each other to do things outside of looking after the kid - we'll see how that works eh!!

Anyway, based on your advice I've been looking around at eBay and gumtree etc and agree that going the 2nd hand way is going to be best. I've seen decent second hand Wilson Prostaff LCG irons (that I've read good things about) go cheaper than the new Dunlops at SportsDirect!

So, on that note, could anyone point me in the direction of which clubs I should particularly look out for and which clubs to avoid??
Thanks again for all the advice! :cheers:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard Picto......Bit of a mountain bike nut myself.....Golf is the first love though.....Best of luck with the Lil' un too.....
Your hands will be full soon.....
As you can see the general consensus is to go the 2nd hand route and your pro should be able to sort you out....Players change gear so frequently these days that you'll definitely pick up bargains here and there......

Like the bikes dont buy the first you see....Be patient and have a good ol root around in the shops through the 2nd hand bins.
And if your unsure of anything just stick a post on here and it wont be long before your on the right track.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got the Wilson Prostaff LCG set and theyve been excellent. I've only just this week bought new clubs and thats mostly because the irons were a good deal and i felt new irons deserved new woods ;-) so had a fitting and bought some Callaway woods too.

You honestly cant go wrong with the Wilsons, they look good, feel good in the hand and are excellent quality. I really cant recommend them highly enough.

I dont get my new woods until next weekend, but I could be tempted to sell the lot to you next week if you havent already bought anything?

Picto

Club Champion
Visit site
I dont get my new woods until next weekend, but I could be tempted to sell the lot to you next week if you havent already bought anything?

The more I look at these, the more I like the look of them. There seems to be quite a few sets around where people are progressing on to more serious clubs - which I think is a good sign of their popularity for high handicappers looking to get their HCap down.

Nope not bought anything yet. Could be very interested. Do you want to PM me with details?

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know people slate dunlop and sports direct but would it hurt to try before you buy a set ? why not purchase a 7 iron and hit some balls at the range and see if you like them, everyone is different to which club suits them and for £7 jeezo i lose more down the back of the couch. I played the dunlop 65i's for 3 years and got down to a 14hcp with them so not too bad eh and they were about £5 a club and bought 5-sw.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-tour-tp12-steel-irons-871202

Last edited: