sorry for the simple rules question

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both ball and loose impediments are on the green. Can you use your putter to remove it/them? I thought you could as long as you dont push down with your putter (impediments where on my line of putt)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes. You can use your putter, cap, hand or a broom if you really wanted. As long as you don't infringe on the rule by pressing something down, such as a spike mark.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought so. Cheers for that. Was playing with a job's worth sore looser the other day. He moaned when I scooped away a wood chipping

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
just smile at him and ask the universal question - which rule do you think I have broken?

That's the phrase to memorise! The knobhead who tried to dq for playing out of turn a while back got a less pleasant "are you making the (bleep) rules up as you go along"

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my distant memory (probably last year but I'm getting old ) didn't rory get done for moving sand on the green after he had played a bunker shot,probably wrong but remember something on those lines.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think he was still off the green.

Wasn't so much that he was off the green but that the sand he was brushing away wasn't on the green. Sand is only defined as loose impediment on the putting surface. Had the sand been on the green he would have been entitled to remove it regardless of the position of his ball.