Solo Golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love it. Its great for me to actually think clearly about everything going on in my life and I can totally focus when I'm on my own. There are times though when I play alone to play different shots or two balls and try things out. First thing especially if your the first one out is perfect.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd say most of my golf is solo as I don't always get much notice of when I can go out. its great, I can switch off from the world and lose myself.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can i add a question here ? I would think that most of you that play solo golf are probably club members so you can just turn up and play a few holes and depart but thats not my question . What i'd like to know is if whether playing on your own affects your swing/concentration ? Do you find yourself looking up quicker after a shot to make sure you know where your ball's gone.

I rely on my playing partners to track my ball after i've played a shot as i'm still concentrating on a spot behind the ball . Maybe , as my direction can be a little erratic , i'm more prone to hit wayward shots , but how do you ensure that you can see/track your ball in flight ?

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I was thinking about this whilst playing todays rounds funnily enough!!

I, and I assume most other solo'ers, have become an absolute expert at hearing the sounds my clubs make and how it feels when I hit it, and I know if i've middled it with the driver or arsed an iron shot up etc etc, so you know roughly where to start looking.

It does wonders for your ability to track the ball in flight too, and I never look up early from my shot to see where its going.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I never have a problem when I'm on my own. The only time it is an issue is playing a hole into the sun where I'd normally rely on my partners to follow it for me. That said I can normally tell from the impact how it will fly so know where I should be looking for it to come down

I don't think my timing or rhythm changes playing alone or in a group and as long as I'm sticking to my pre-shot routine on every shot and not getting lazy then I don't really feel any difference to any other round (other than quicker and the chance to play several balls per hole)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What i'd like to know is if whether playing on your own affects your swing/concentration ? Do you find yourself looking up quicker after a shot to make sure you know where your ball's gone.

but how do you ensure that you can see/track your ball in flight ?

Odd.......who needs to track a ball? I know where it's gone without looking....give or take....haven't lost a ball other than in a bush/gorse/lake in years......

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Old fart alert :eek:

Playing with an ipod ?

What's wrong with actually listening to the quiet ?

A bit of peace and tranquility, that's what solo golf is all about. Some 'me' time.

Practise golf is practise, whether it's on the range or on the course, but 'proper' solo golf is just me, the birds, and a good walk, spoiled.

:cool:

Guns

Club Champion
Visit site
After reading this yesterday I just had to go and play 9 holes.

I got soak down to my undies and lost a couple of balls but it was all worth while because now I know to bin that 64 degree wedge. Useless!

Jamie_N

Medal Winner
Visit site
I really enjoy solo golf, and not being a club member myself, when I'm playing i also have to pay, not much granted as I play my muni course when I play solo, but still!
I find that I dont necessarily play as well alone, I push myself more to get things right when I'm playing with others, however when I get in the mood I do really focus on the swing etc.
I dont use my ipod or anything on the course, I dont agree with it personally, but that it another issue. I just enjoy playing a round of golf, and usually to play solo, the weather has to be good. I dont play solo in the rain often!

I love the game because I enjoy playing it, and not becuase im good, or becuase of the competition, although these can fuel the love. So for me solo golf is why I love playing!

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like nothing more than getting out of work a bit early, grabbing the clubs and getting in a round before I have to pick up the GF.

Busy courses during the week can be a nightmare for a solo, especially if you run into a society. Kind of spoils it, I loose my rhythm and get a bit frustrated.

tbh, most of the time when I head up the club I'll either join up with another member on the 1st or on the way round.

But there is something rather relaxing about trotting round at your own pace with no distractions.

Now if someone hadn't put a meeting in my diary at 5 I'd be getting out today. :(

mmm, I wonder if I can get out of it ? I feel a cunning plan comming on :D :D