Solid left side

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since having a playing lesson last week I've been trying to implement some changes, In particular I was told my legs had a lot of movement in them, but however hard I try I can't keep my left foot planted, it always splays out. I not sure if this a flexibility thing or not. I was told it's like throwing a punch, you do it with a planted left foot, trouble is I'm left handed and play right so can do it with the right foot. Any ideas because it's causing me huge distance loss.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How far splayed out are we talking?

A lot of coaches recommend starting at address with your left foot turned out a bit, and a lot of pros certainly twist their left foot coming through.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
only ever an issue if a lead foot spin out is affecting the strike so shot outcomes like it sounds it is with the op.
although there's a bunch of things that can play into this issue - left side stability.

somethings to consider, most times you got these kinda shot outcomes (high weak, left to rights) with trouble with stability & balance. the weight is still favoring the trailside into the downswing so there's both a lean back with the pivot more occurring around the trail hip socket, so the hips spin out some with no real stability on the lead leg/foot because the weight pressure never really got to the lead leg & with that the swing starts down over & out some.
with no or not enough weight pressure into the ground the lead foot spins out some.

if this sounds familiar this vid may help some. but as ever with the golf motion there's a few ways a lead foot spin out that is an issue to strike can happen.

[video=youtube;KldZ8v9oRSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldZ8v9oRSY[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube;YwIk8YJD2xg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwIk8YJD2xg[/video]

don't try hitting balls with a stick under the foot from a range mat, real easy to turn the ankle over. you can do 70% effort swings without a ball to feel the motion on a range mat, then take the stick away focus on the same feel & hit couple balls, then go back to the no ball stick drill.