Socket rockets at the range

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just back from the range and I hit an alarming numbers of shots out the hosel. Funny thing is this happened to me last time I was at the driving range but having played 18 holes on Sunday, it never happened once on the course?

Can anyone explain how this can be happening and if any of you guys have experienced similar?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's strange!!

Brian never practices :whoo: :ears:

Could be a number of things from falling forward, standing too close, the list goes on.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you get annoyed, grip harder and swing faster?

If so- relax, loosen the grip and swing slower.

What are your swing thoughts normally?

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Did you get annoyed, grip harder and swing faster?

If so- relax, loosen the grip and swing slower.

What are your swing thoughts normally?
i think if i hit a couple in a row it starts to get to me amd maybe get a bit tense. What i dont understand is how it tends to happen at range and rarely on the course.
Swing thoughts are usually turn with shoulders/keep hands quiet/stay connected-upper arms, shoulders/drop right elbow to right hip and try to hit ball from inside path.
i think the shank is either dipping a bit on downswing or ott with closing clubface. Pulling the odd drive makes me think its mainly a swing path issue.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
i think if i hit a couple in a row it starts to get to me amd maybe get a bit tense. What i dont understand is how it tends to happen at range and rarely on the course.
Swing thoughts are usually turn with shoulders/keep hands quiet/stay connected-upper arms, shoulders/drop right elbow to right hip and try to hit ball from inside path.
i think the shank is either dipping a bit on downswing or ott with closing clubface. Pulling the odd drive makes me think its mainly a swing path issue.

Take the club back a bit straighter. It sounds as if you might be getting a bit too much on the inside going back

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Take the club back a bit straighter. It sounds as if you might be getting a bit too much on the inside going back

thanks, will try this. I seem to remember from a lesson i had months ago that the pro told me to keep club low going back and facing ball with clubface as I had a tendency to fan the club and lift using wrists on way back.

Bob, do you have any tips re: first move in downswing? I think at times my shoulders start downswing which ends in pull or fade - or worse or do you think if i dont come back on inside too much, i will be in better shape to start transition?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think at times my shoulders start downswing

Do me a favour.
Stand up, pretend you have a club in your handand do a pretend backswing.
Stop at the top.
Now, keeping the hips still, dont let them move an inch try and start your downswing with just your shoulders. Is that what you think you do?

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do me a favour.
Stand up, pretend you have a club in your handand do a pretend backswing.
Stop at the top.
Now, keeping the hips still, dont let them move an inch try and start your downswing with just your shoulders. Is that what you think you do?

ha ha, tried that and its not exactly what i do. My left hip moves left/ back towards target and with it my left shoulder comes round
Think my right shoulder is moving out just prior to impact which is opening up my stance. Does this make sense and should my right shoulder be more under and not out. Drill for this?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Try and keep your left shoulder above your left foot for as long as you can, that should help stop your shoulders from spinning out of the shot

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't go near the range. Honestly!!

On a more serious note I used to suffer with this years ago when I spent lots of time on the range. The problem tends to be that when you hit a lot of balls you can slowly introduce errors that you dont notice happening. As Bob said taking the club away to the inside is a favourite, another is pushing your right knee towards the ball which blocks your arms on the downswing and pushes the club away from you. If you think this may be the problem then work your right knee more towards the left so they actually touch together and you roll your right foot onto the instep rather than spin it out too quickly onto the toe.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I didn't go near the range. Honestly!!

On a more serious note I used to suffer with this years ago when I spent lots of time on the range. The problem tends to be that when you hit a lot of balls you can slowly introduce errors that you dont notice happening. As Bob said taking the club away to the inside is a favourite, another is pushing your right knee towards the ball which blocks your arms on the downswing and pushes the club away from you. If you think this may be the problem then work your right knee more towards the left so they actually touch together and you roll your right foot onto the instep rather than spin it out too quickly onto the toe.

I said as much at the top of the thread :D

That's strange!!

Brian never practices :whoo: :ears:

Could be a number of things from falling forward, standing too close, the list goes on.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Btw, I think I have solved the shank since i changed my set up and let my arms hang down close to body. This has helped my balance on backswing and aids the connection between upper arms and chest. Also focusing on keeping my nose the same distance from ball from takeaway, thru backswing and downswing. Striking the ball great now. Thanks for all the tips & suggestions