shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Varies (considerably). No set rules.
E.g:

I'm a part time member of 2:

A (only £2 a game):
- Cut 0.3 / 0.2 / 0.1 (depending on hcp) for a win,
- plus same for every stableford point over 36.

B (£5 a game):

- Cut 3 shots for a win, 2 shots for 2nd, 1 shot for 3rd
- Eveyone not in the prizes gets 1 shot back.

The 2nd one leads to pretty dramatic handicap changes!

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours is 1 shot loss for the winner plus appropriate cut per shot above the society standard scratch for the day.

The standard scratch will be set at one point less than the person in fifth (fourth if less than 30 attendees) scored, meaning only the top five (four) and ties will have a handicap cut (i.e. if you win a prize, your handicap will be cut). There will be a ‘buffer zone’ where those equal to the standard scratch remain unchanged, with all other handicaps increasing by either 0.1 or 0.2, depending on the day.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m in 3 societies

Number 1 try’s to make itself like a club

Same handicap as a stablefood comp basically

The other 2 are run by the same guy

Whilst at first I didn’t like the handicap system you get used to it and it keeps it varied and stops the same people winning all time

30 points you stay same, for every point over 30 you get cut 0.25 so 36 gets you cut 2.5

Every point under 30 you get 0.25 back.. (think of shaking that up a bit next year to stop people getting back more than 3)

For winning I got introduced cut 1 for the win. Because one course nobody scored over 30 so the winner got shots back

Anyways keeps it varied

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure about that - does anyone throw the towel in and score say 10 points to get 5 shots back?

If you don’t finish you don’t get shots back

But goes on honesty I guess

I didn’t hit 30 today.. was playing in a match play so had to go for more shots than I would have liked

Last hole had chance to just phone it in and take a blob for extra 0.25 back but pride made me fight for the point

I preferred his original system

Add all scores for day up. Take best and worse Away. Divide by the field and then if you were under that you got 1 back if you were over you lost a shot

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you don’t finish you don’t get shots back

But goes on honesty I guess

I didn’t hit 30 today.. was playing in a match play so had to go for more shots than I would have liked

Last hole had chance to just phone it in and take a blob for extra 0.25 back but pride made me fight for the point

I preferred his original system

Add all scores for day up. Take best and worse Away. Divide by the field and then if you were under that you got 1 back if you were over you lost a shot
Yeah, just seems open to abuse (sadly) - especially if a few quid's involved.

I'd think 1 shot back would usually suffice unless someone's handicap is consistently miles out then should be reviewed anyway. (Both societies I've played in do this every so often)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, just seems open to abuse (sadly) - especially if a few quid's involved.

I'd think 1 shot back would usually suffice unless someone's handicap is consistently miles out then should be reviewed anyway. (Both societies I've played in do this every so often)

I think it’s a system that only works because of who it’s with. We get between 12-16 people per “event” basically once a month it’s a few mates meeting up. Green fees are paid then £7 into the prize fund. £2 goes to the twos club (if the twos ain’t won it rolls over) £5 into prizes which is £10 AG voucher.. little trophy that the organiser got about 50 for £20 when a trophy shop went out of business. Two nearest pins (as we have 2 really really long hitters they always cleaned up) sleeve of balls for each nearest pin.

So whilst i get what your saying how it’s open to abuse. It’s basically 20 mates of which 12 show up at a time.

If you can’t trust your mates and all that

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
When we go away, we try to keep it simple. We all play of current club handicap on day one. Winner gets a shot cut, anyone scoring more than 38 gets a shot cut, scoring more than 40 gets another shot cut. Anyone scoring under 30 gets a shot back. We continue with this until the end of the trip.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Varies (considerably). No set rules.

B (£5 a game):

- Cut 3 shots for a win, 2 shots for 2nd, 1 shot for 3rd
- Eveyone not in the prizes gets 1 shot back.

The 2nd one leads to pretty dramatic handicap changes!
That's a bit mad. Imagine everyone has a poor day, you scrape 32 points and win it with that, then take a 3 shot hit for your quite mediocre round. o_O

D

Deleted member 21258

I run a couple of days a year and a mix of players handicap and how often they play, around 20-30 normally play.

I try to spread the winner/prizes around. As a result I cut 1 or 2 strokes for winning, then 1 stroke for every point above the cut(most times the cut is around 30-32 points). If someone has scored low(say under 25) then they get a shot back.

Not unheard for the day to be won with high 20 points. Had many a comment from guests who attend the first time about being cut when their handicap is XX (some have scored high 40 points off a high handicap but weirdly never return:unsure:)

I have one guy who always comes, who was off scratch for a while(h/cap 7-8) as he has won it 3 or 4 times over the years, the most times anyone has won.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a bit mad. Imagine everyone has a poor day, you scrape 32 points and win it with that, then take a 3 shot hit for your quite mediocre round. o_O
Society handicapping is fundamentally about the distribution of the pot (or prizes/pride).

Doesn't matter what you win with, you won. Handicapping is applied to make it harder for you to repeat, and easier for someone else to have their turn.

Most successful societies (long term) somehow juggle handicapping along these lines.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think the idea though is it spreads the money around a bit, works quite well TBF as if you win you'll generally get say £30.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Society handicapping is fundamentally about the distribution of the pot (or prizes/pride).

Doesn't matter what you win with, you won. Handicapping is applied to make it harder for you to repeat, and easier for someone else to have their turn.

Most successful societies (long term) somehow juggle handicapping along these lines.

As usual, Ducan has explained it perfectly and better than I can 👍👍

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

Same for us, 3 shots lost for a win - it tries to ensure everyone has a chance at winning over the course of the year and it's not just the same people winning all the time. I've 2 wins and a 3rd so lost 7 shots fairly rapidly but what can you do! won one with 29 points on count back so that particular one felt a bit harsh!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same for us, 3 shots lost for a win - it tries to ensure everyone has a chance at winning over the course of the year and it's not just the same people winning all the time. I've 2 wins and a 3rd so lost 7 shots fairly rapidly but what can you do! won one with 29 points on count back so that particular one felt a bit harsh!
Yeah, I get it. Never been part of a society so I'm just learning here. No I can see why some people's society handicap are wildly different to their actual handicap.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure I agree with the sentiment that it’s good to manipulate the handicap just to share the winning around, always thought it is a good idea that you can’t play off a higher h/c than your official one.