Snow on them thar hills

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only ever played it with hickory clubs, quite good fun as its pretty short. Last time it snowed a couple of times while we played which was March or April.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny we were sitting in the clubhouse yesterday discussing how little/much snow we had see over the years where we live.

When I used to live in Surrey I reckoned on seeing some every year now, in South Somerset it is about once in every five years and it rarely lasts. You do not have to go far North (Mendip Hills) or far West (Exmoor) for a slightly different take on it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Funny we were sitting in the clubhouse yesterday discussing how little/much snow we had see over the years where we live.

When I used to live in Surrey I reckoned on seeing some every year now, in South Somerset it is about once in every five years and it rarely lasts. You do not have to go far North (Mendip Hills) or far West (Exmoor) for a slightly different take on it.
No doubt things change, when I was young, say early 70s to early80s, a lot of snow in Aberdeenshire, then from then till around 2009 it was much scarcer, but the last ten years have seen some belting winters again.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every year there seems to be a blizzard in the SE of England which deposits a few millimetres of snow and everywhere grinds to a halt!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I probably didn't first play there until the late 80s, hard to be exact. You not thinking of Brora?
I definitely played a few courses with fences to keep the sheep off. I remember Brora and thought Braemar was another but I may well be getting them mixed up. I used to go up to the highlands a lot and play golf and go hill walking but then went abroad in the 90's and have played fewer since returning with kids.
Hopefully get to play more now I'm heading for retirement.