Snow gone, golfers elbow here....

ianshearin

Club Champion
Visit site
Well hopefully we can all get back to some regular golf now that lousy Winter is almost behind us...

Started to go out on a regular basis in the last few Weeks and would you believe it, I have developed Golfers elbow... ggrrrr
I have ordered myself a medical armband to see if that will help but was wondering if anyone else has been through this and what they did to help it..

There is one rule I have though 'I wont listen to any advice about 'Resting it'

I think I duffed a few balls recently and really hit the ground hard so that woudnt have helped.. dam soggy ground.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Smiffy had it and bought some herbal tablet stuff called ruta which he says worked a treat.

Send him a private message, I'm sure he'll send you the details.

ianshearin

Club Champion
Visit site
Just had a look at those Ruta pills, they are a homeopathic product, I dont have much faith in alternative medicines.

I did have Squash Elbow years ago when I was playing competitive Squash, took cortisone injections then which cured it, too early for that though.
I will try the armband and do some warming up of the arm before playing, see if that works...

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been on Diclofenac for the past 3 weeks. My first physio session is tomorrow. Doc diagnosed me with Tennis elbow but its the same thing just different muscle area.

Like you the thought of resting completely was not really an option. :D

Go to the doctors.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just had a look at those Ruta pills, they are a homeopathic product, I dont have much faith in alternative medicines.

Nor did I until I tried them! Although to be fair, it could have been coincidence that taking them coincided with it going of it's own accord.
And mine was tennis elbow, not golfers elbow by the way.
I'd tried straps, wasted £75.00 on an electrical gizmo that vibrated on the site of the pain (that has now found it's way into the wife's bedside cabinet ;)). I was getting really cheesed off. Read about these Ruta tablets thought "why not". Pop a couple on the end of your tongue and let them dissolve. Taste nice too. Within two weeks my tennis elbow pain had gone.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What has everyone got against rest?

Normally pain is your bodies way of telling you something is wrong. You can mask it with drugs, or be macho and ignore it, but at the end of the day something is still wrong.

If your car had a problem, such as a terrible grinding noise when you hit the brakes, you wouldn't just ignore it, or disable the brakes and carry on would you?

*I'm not a car expert, so if my analogy is crap, apologies!

A

Alex1975

Hey Ian,

Long time no see. My father in law has the same issue and he uses the arm band thing. Its like a block that straps around his arm. No idea what it does but he says its great.

Hope you are well apart from that.

Al

ianshearin

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Al, just the Winter really has kept me away, little Golf, so little to say ;p

Surefire, of course the body does have ways of telling us what to do, in fact mine tells me not to drink a bottle of wine in one go or it will make me feel bad, but I ignore it...

My memories of sports injuries go back a long way when most of the time I would talk to Doctors who would just advise rest.
I learnt a long time ago that being proactive with an injury solution can often pay off dividends.
If I learn and research the injury and look at other options then it can be possible to promote a quicker recovery or at the least keep playing without exasperating it.

I will report back in a Week or so to let you know how warming up and using the armband has worked.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Nor did I until I tried them! Although to be fair, it could have been coincidence that taking them coincided with it going of it's own accord.
And mine was tennis elbow, not golfers elbow by the way.
I'd tried straps, wasted £75.00 on an electrical gizmo that vibrated on the site of the pain (that has now found it's way into the wife's bedside cabinet ;)). I was getting really cheesed off. Read about these Ruta tablets thought "why not". Pop a couple on the end of your tongue and let them dissolve. Taste nice too. Within two weeks my tennis elbow pain had gone.

Smiffy, have you still got these tablets? pop a couple in the post or bring 2 along to the East Brighton meet :D :D

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surefire, of course the body does have ways of telling us what to do, in fact mine tells me not to drink a bottle of wine in one go or it will make me feel bad, but I ignore it...

My memories of sports injuries go back a long way when most of the time I would talk to Doctors who would just advise rest.
I learnt a long time ago that being proactive with an injury solution can often pay off dividends.
If I learn and research the injury and look at other options then it can be possible to promote a quicker recovery or at the least keep playing without exasperating it.

Sure, but like the bottle of wine situation, you may just go ahead and do it, but no expert would 'advise' you to do it.

Being proactive can be good, as long as you don't cause further damage. I'm also all for helping an injury heal quicker, if possible.

What I'm not a fan of is just masking it. You may be able to mask the pain and carry on playing. You may also not make it any worse, but personally I would prefer to let it fully heal, rather than just not make it worse.

Anyway, I think you already have some ideas how you want to go ahead, which as long as you are happy with is fine. I was just curious as to why noone likes rest?

I know its a pain when you want to do something, but I have always preferred to rest and miss 1 week, rather than ignore something for a while, make it worse and miss 2 months!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Smiffy, have you still got these tablets? pop a couple in the post or bring 2 along to the East Brighton meet :D :D

Remind me nearer the time and I'll bring what I have left with me for you to try. Seriously, they worked for me.
You have to be homopathetic though

ianshearin

Club Champion
Visit site
Its a good point regarding masking pain Surefire, and for that reason I would never consider taking any pills to alleviate pain of an injury. In fact I have to be force fed any medicine really... (must be a man thing)

I will go to extreme lengths though to sort an injury out if I believe it can be done without causing longer term problems.

I personally don't want to rest because I have just had a forced rest over the Winter and I miss playing Golf.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had tennis elbow last year and took the best part of it to clear up.

I went to the Chemist and there were 2 types of arm support bandages. Spoke to the Pharmacist and asked which was best for tennis elbow. He recommended the blue elastic one. Was really tight to get on but offered great support.

I wore it when doing anything that put strain on the arm,ie. gardening, hedge cutting, painting, screwdriving and of course ,playing golf. It certainly helped a great deal but always took it off afterwards, so as not to rely on it too much.

Evenings I used a gel ice pack which was supplied by the Chiropractor, having had treatment when it was at its worst. Chiropractors are expensive, I stopped after spending just over £200.

It's difficult to say which is the definitive cure, but probably a combination of the above I would think.

Golfmmad.