Smothering ball

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi I have recently gone from stiff to reg shafts in my irons with no problems.
Thought I would try reg shaft in my driver but I seem to be smothering the ball low and left.
would a pull come from a softer shaft.
If so what's the reason for this.

am 60 in sept and play off six hence the change of shafts as my swing speed has come down a bit .

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi I have recently gone from stiff to reg shafts in my irons with no problems.
Thought I would try reg shaft in my driver but I seem to be smothering the ball low and left.
would a pull come from a softer shaft.
If so what's the reason for this.

am 60 in sept and play off six hence the change of shafts as my swing speed has come down a bit .

when driver with stiff shaft was being used what was the regular shot shape? (what was/is the regular shot shape through the bag?)
prior to the change what were the common shot flight issues?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
when driver with stiff shaft was being used what was the regular shot shape? (what was/is the regular shot shape through the bag?)
prior to the change what were the common shot flight issues?
i have always had a low ish ball flight through the bag.
Trackman says I have a negative angle of attack with driver , I have tried to address this but have not been able to change my swing it feels so awkward.
Normal flight is Prety straight / fade.
My bad shot is a push fade.
but can pull the ball when timing is a bit off.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
i have always had a low ish ball flight through the bag.
Trackman says I have a negative angle of attack with driver , I have tried to address this but have not been able to change my swing it feels so awkward.
Normal flight is Prety straight / fade.
My bad shot is a push fade.
but can pull the ball when timing is a bit off.

The only difference between a push fade and a pull is the clubface.
Push fade........clubface open to the path
Pull.....clubface square to the path

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if the shaft is a bunch softer in the tip there could be more of a 'lead' shaft release into impact - despite a common belief to the country the shaft or more the bottom 14" or so is flexed towards target - so clubhead leading shaft just in those final 100ths prior to impact so face could be looking more leftfield than you've been accustomed to couple that with a tad out to in steeper AoA - & you taking a bunch of loft off the face that' looking left

would get a foot spray or dry hair shampoo to spray face & check where off the face the strike is - contact location could be part of the issue

other things to maybes consider am guessing perhaps your 'normal' tee height for driver might be a tad lower (than having the ball over the top of driver at set-up) plus maybes the ball position is a tad further back than off of the lead heel?

although changing stuff does feel uncomfortable difficult to change results without doin things a tad differently

with a naturally slower swing speed happening then you definitely are giving up a whole bunch of yards with the -AoA

worth experimenting with making sure the tee height has the equator of the ball level with the top(crown) of a driver that resting on ground - address the ball if the driver is soled before you take it back off of just toe side of center

pick your target line then pick a spot 6" right of that aim to start the ball over that spot - as regards ball position look at it being off the inside of the lead heel
align shoulders hips parallel to original target line (not the spot 6" right) then just draw your trail foot back some 3" or so so the hip line and foot line are a tad closed
with set-up(driver) make sure you don't move your head & upper body back up to be directly behind the ball - head position is some 4" or so behind ball position

then with around 75% swing effort fell the intention is just to sweep the ball off the tee to fly over that spot 6" right of your target line

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if the shaft is a bunch softer in the tip there could be more of a 'lead' shaft release into impact - despite a common belief to the country the shaft or more the bottom 14" or so is flexed towards target - so clubhead leading shaft just in those final 100ths prior to impact so face could be looking more leftfield than you've been accustomed to couple that with a tad out to in steeper AoA - & you taking a bunch of loft off the face that' looking left

would get a foot spray or dry hair shampoo to spray face & check where off the face the strike is - contact location could be part of the issue

other things to maybes consider am guessing perhaps your 'normal' tee height for driver might be a tad lower (than having the ball over the top of driver at set-up) plus maybes the ball position is a tad further back than off of the lead heel?

although changing stuff does feel uncomfortable difficult to change results without doin things a tad differently

with a naturally slower swing speed happening then you definitely are giving up a whole bunch of yards with the -AoA

worth experimenting with making sure the tee height has the equator of the ball level with the top(crown) of a driver that resting on ground - address the ball if the driver is soled before you take it back off of just toe side of center

pick your target line then pick a spot 6" right of that aim to start the ball over that spot - as regards ball position look at it being off the inside of the lead heel
align shoulders hips parallel to original target line (not the spot 6" right) then just draw your trail foot back some 3" or so so the hip line and foot line are a tad closed
with set-up(driver) make sure you don't move your head & upper body back up to be directly behind the ball - head position is some 4" or so behind ball position

then with around 75% swing effort fell the intention is just to sweep the ball off the tee to fly over that spot 6" right of your target line
Thanks for this.
You are spot on about tee height I do tee the ball quite low this is wrong for modern drivers I know.
Will try your recommendations and try this winter to improve my aoa .
appreciate your time.
Thank you.