Smart homes who’s done it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a wifi thermostat, and 3 wifi timers for some lighting.

I am going to need another wifi timer for my beach apartment fairly soon. This is probably the most practical, as I will want to control the heating remotely.

I started with WiFi plugs

But then found for £15 a bulb could replace my lights and then use either hive or Alexa to control them on a timer schedule

The bulbs that connect straight to WiFi are decent but need alexa really to do the timer as their app was unreliable. Alexa is better at bringing them all in check

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm also worried as I get a few Indians called Dave or John ringing me every day from BT or Openreach telling me that my Internet connection has been hijacked by hackers. I wonder if they are getting in through my Amazon Echo then?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm also worried as I get a few Indians called Dave or John ringing me every day from BT or Openreach telling me that my Internet connection has been hijacked by hackers. I wonder if they are getting in through my Amazon Echo then?
These could be the same people that tell me about the car crash that I haven't had, or advise my mum that her computer is locked out when she doesn't own one.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Put Hive in to better control the heating and water, has saved a fair bit of money the past 5 years. Wouldn't put Alexa or any smart controller in, don't like the fact that they are always listening. Whilst they may only respond when you say "Alexa", who knows what info they are relaying out the other side.

#ImNotParanoid :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put Hive in to better control the heating and water, has saved a fair bit of money the past 5 years. Wouldn't put Alexa or any smart controller in, don't like the fact that they are always listening. Whilst they may only respond when you say "Alexa", who knows what info they are relaying out the other side.

#ImNotParanoid :D

We had hive installed 4 years ago when we moved in. I always wanted it and when we got there the house had no control over the boiler bar a timer with no thermostat or anything so made sense to have put in for £200 at the time

Got a deal the other day with lights

The bulbs we use are £19 a bulb and the hub that you get with hive 2 is £80

Amazon warehouse deal £95 hive and 6 bulbs for the kitchen!! Couldn’t say no at that price

Only annoying thing is my alarm will work with Phillips hue rather than hive! Typical lol

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I got the plastic ones which with a sign are fine legally wise

Why is the sign required?

Carpet grippers would be illegal tho lol lucky I didn’t do them

Got a dog and sign aswell lol

Why would they be illegal?

I ask as I'm looking to make my place a little less accessible & the fence is on private land, hence I'd like to know the why's & wherefores, or whether it's just an urban myth... :unsure:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is the sign required?

Why would they be illegal?

I ask as I'm looking to make my place a little less accessible & the fence is on private land, hence I'd like to know the why's & wherefores, or whether it's just an urban myth... :unsure:

Carpet grippers would cause proper harm to someone’s hands, your not allowed even though the person would be breaking in

The spikes are more a deterrent as they make it impossible to put weight on them but more a warning before hand. If they carry on then they get hurt

The sign is to warn people their there

Like if I don’t have a Cctv warning sign apparently can’t be used in court

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Carpet grippers would cause proper harm to someone’s hands, your not allowed even though the person would be breaking in

The spikes are more a deterrent as they make it impossible to put weight on them but more a warning before hand. If they carry on then they get hurt

Are you sure that bit is correct?

I thought you would only have to inform people if you are recording a public place - for example outside your boundary, or a business premises.
This is certainly the case if you record phone calls, a business would have to tell you for data protection compliance, but an individual does not have to do so, and can still use the recordings as evidence.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you sure that bit is correct?

I thought you would only have to inform people if you are recording a public place - for example outside your boundary, or a business premises.
This is certainly the case if you record phone calls, a business would have to tell you for data protection compliance, but an individual does not have to do so, and can still use the recordings as evidence.

I am unsure , when I had the Cctv system installed they said if you don’t have signs can’t be used in court so just kept them up

Puts people off

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The police adcised me of the same. You need signs to warn people of anything that might cause them an issue, even though they are not supposed to be there.
You have to warn people first, so they know the consequences of their possible carrying on.

Likewise those old garden walls that have broken glass imbedded in cement tops of the walls, totally illegal and would see you in court if someone got hurt or damaged by it.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Can anyone quote the relevant act and section that makes these illegal please? Because despite numerous internet searches I’m not finding it. The advice used to be to get rid of the fence & replace it with a Pyracantha hedge, which is a darn sight more vicious than carpet grippers, so I can’t see why that would be legal and carpet grippers not...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can anyone quote the relevant act and section that makes these illegal please? Because despite numerous internet searches I’m not finding it. The advice used to be to get rid of the fence & replace it with a Pyracantha hedge, which is a darn sight more vicious than carpet grippers, so I can’t see why that would be legal and carpet grippers not...
I cant give you the tech info you ask for, I can only say the advise my local police gave me.
A natural painful barrier is just that...natural. A physical barrier placed to cause harm is another matter and leaves you open to possible legal action.
It seems stupid you have to protect yourself against anyone taking legal action against you because they hurt themsleves attempting illegal entry into your property. but that is the modern World:(

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is it worth the risk for the sake of a tiny sign? Doesn’t need to be huge just need to have given notice lol

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Is it worth the risk for the sake of a tiny sign? Doesn’t need to be huge just need to have given notice lol

One, I don't want the sign, either outside the garden or in, and two, there is no point whatsoever in putting up a sign that doesn't comply with the requirements of the law that makes it necessary. Hence I want to know what regulation requires it, if indeed there is one, and what that regulation says require the wording of the sign.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I cant give you the tech info you ask for, I can only say the advise my local police gave me.
A natural painful barrier is just that...natural. A physical barrier placed to cause harm is another matter and leaves you open to possible legal action.
It seems stupid you have to protect yourself against anyone taking legal action against you because they hurt themsleves attempting illegal entry into your property. but that is the modern World:(

Is it a natural barrier if it it has been planted, cultivated and pruned with the specific intention of replacing the fence?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it a natural barrier if it it has been planted, cultivated and pruned with the specific intention of replacing the fence?
Yes, because it is a living thing. A fence or wall are not.
Just as you need planning permission for a fence or wall above 3ft3 adjacent to a highway (pavement) but not for 40ft conifers:)

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought that until I got the bulbs and controlling it via the app got annoying so got Alexa and just do with my voice

Alexa lights on

Next step is ring door bell so you see them and put them off

But then again I have Cctv , alarm and fence spikes I’m pretty happy 😂

PM me if you need any help digging the moat. ;)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have Hive for controlling heating and water. It's excellent.

Also got Hive lighting for the hallway, working with the outside Hive camera, switching on when movement detected. Camera is good, aligned with a CCTV notice on my garage. I also have solar security lighting around the house and garden.

Got 5 Alexas in the house. Good for intra-house comms when you can't be bothered to shout or move from the sofa!