Smart homes who’s done it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Took the plunge this week

I’ve spent a small fortune but got myself two echo dots to control it all then got some hive bulbs for the kitchen, WiFi bulbs for other areas , couple of plugs and an IR sender for the tv

Alexa can now do anything I ask which is a novelty atm but been useful at times already

Will be useful when we go on holiday in the summer .. can schedule sets of lights to come on at diff times give illusion of someone in and have it play music at diff times aswell so anyone going past thinks we in

Impressed so far

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just Hive for me at the moment but I do like the idea of some of smart lighting. Not bothered about Alexa or whatever, that just seems a bit of a gimmick at the minute.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Took the plunge this week

I’ve spent a small fortune but got myself two echo dots to control it all then got some hive bulbs for the kitchen, WiFi bulbs for other areas , couple of plugs and an IR sender for the tv

Alexa can now do anything I ask which is a novelty atm but been useful at times already

Will be useful when we go on holiday in the summer .. can schedule sets of lights to come on at diff times give illusion of someone in and have it play music at diff times aswell so anyone going past thinks we in

Impressed so far

What are the benefits you are hoping for Paul? Saving on the leccy bill? It might be a while before you see the benefits if your up front outlay is high. I use a programmer for my heating and led lamps everywhere, and I wouldn’t have an Alexa in the house if you paid me! 😄

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just Hive for me at the moment but I do like the idea of some of smart lighting. Not bothered about Alexa or whatever, that just seems a bit of a gimmick at the minute.

I thought that until I got the bulbs and controlling it via the app got annoying so got Alexa and just do with my voice

Alexa lights on

All the way until said burglar rings the door bell.
Next step is ring door bell so you see them and put them off

But then again I have Cctv , alarm and fence spikes I’m pretty happy 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the benefits you are hoping for Paul? Saving on the leccy bill? It might be a while before you see the benefits if your up front is high. I use a programmer for my heating and led lamps everywhere, and I wouldn’t have an Alexa in the house if you paid me! 😄
I’ve got a routine set up called movie mode

Alexa movie mode

Lights go out.. apart from sofa ones that dim to 10% perfect mood setting

The daughter loves the lights turning blue aswell lol

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought that until I got the bulbs and controlling it via the app got annoying so got Alexa and just do with my voice

Alexa lights on

I’d prefer those controlled by motion sensors like you get in some hotels and offices. No messing about with commands then, they just come on when you enter a room.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Alexa lights on

Where the absolute feck do you live? A Brazilian Favela? 😁

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looked into it a fair few times but not yet come out wanting to do it.

Might in a few years when prices settle down, for now its a nice toy but not something I would see as an investment.

We instead saved over £200 a year just by changing our behaviour, add that to the cost of a smart home and we saved a lot of money!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looked into it a fair few times but not yet come out wanting to do it.

Might in a few years when prices settle down, for now its a nice toy but not something I would see as an investment.

We instead saved over £200 a year just by changing our behaviour, add that to the cost of a smart home and we saved a lot of money!

Have to admit none of this is with a view to save cash , Mainly security and I love automation to make things more interesting

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to admit none of this is with a view to save cash , Mainly security and I love automation to make things more interesting

Everyone is at a different place, for us cash was the big issue. I fully admit it looks like a whole lot of fun, which is why we looked at it in the first place.

The time will come for me, just not today.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Alexa lights on

All well and good but you’re in the States and Billy the Burglar rings the door bell at 9am; are you getting up between 1am and 5am depending on where you are to put him off? Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for keeping the theiving scum out but I’d have serious reservations about a Ring door bell unless there is someone available 24/7 to answer it. Went for a decent alarm but not sure that the Ring door bells aren’t a little overrated.