Slow swing speed softer ball.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would players with a slow swing speed benifit by using a softer ball. My swing speed I'm told is 83 and I use Titliest Velocity balls but would a softer ball improve my game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please post how you get on with this. My swing speed is similar, a bit slower in all honesty, so the results would be interesting. I tend to use balls that I like the feel of, like the logo tbh, but I have not looked deeper into what would actually work better for me.

Bignev, are you a member of a club in Harrogate? I've had a few weekend golf breaks in Harrogate and have played most of the courses around there. I love Harrogate the town and the courses on offer are great to play as well.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends upon what other aspects you would like from a ball.

If you are looking for a ball that also gives drop and stop and greenside spin for control.

I play Bridgestone Tour 330 RX and RXS both aimed at amateur swing speed but they spin a lot .

TaylorMade Project A are aimed at a similar market

Wilson DX3 urethane (if you can find them) are soft ball but a lot of spin. Replaced with another Wilson with similar characteristics.

If you still find them (Sports Direct) Dunlop DP1V3 are also a good shout.

Hoganman1

Visit site
My swing speed is similar to yours and I spent last year experimenting with different balls. Obviously, we all want to be longer off the tee. However, unless a certain ball is 20 to 30 yards longer, I think we're all better off with a ball that performs better around the greens. During my experimenting I found that the Callaway Super Soft was the longest on tee shots for me, but I had trouble judging how far it would roll on chips and putts. I'm back to playing the Pro-V-1. I know they're expensive. If Pro-Vs are too pricey maybe try the Snell MTB. They seem to perform about the same and are much cheaper.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Please post how you get on with this. My swing speed is similar, a bit slower in all honesty, so the results would be interesting. I tend to use balls that I like the feel of, like the logo tbh, but I have not looked deeper into what would actually work better for me.

Bignev, are you a member of a club in Harrogate? I've had a few weekend golf breaks in Harrogate and have played most of the courses around there. I love Harrogate the town and the courses on offer are great to play as well.
will keep you informed. Tried a Wilson DX 2 today and didn't like it.
I'm a member at Ridding Park Golf Club

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My advice is to play the ball you like the 'feel' of best. And most 'feel' is around and on the green.

Pro V1 is, imo/to me, a great ball for 'feel', but much too expensive. There are others in the Titleist line-up that are as good for feel, but are much cheaper, so better value imo. It's really a case of finding what feels best for you! Other manufacturers (e.g. Bridgestone, Srixon) do a similar range too, so worth checking them out too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
that should of read Rudding.
I could hear the British spy, hiding as a policeman, in Allo Allo when you said Ridding 🤣. I've played there a few times. It was often our Saturday course as only Rudding and Flaxby Park allowed visitors on Saturdays. It was a shame that Flaxby closed, I enjoyed that course.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My swing speed is higher 80s, and I too am yet to settle on the best ball to use.
At the moment I am using Srixon AD333 and it is quite good , I believe.
But I haven't tried any others in comparison. Just bought some Bridgestone E6 speed, and will be giving them a go Friday. Meant to be longish and straight.
( as if being straight is nothing to do with how I hit it!😊)
Will report back after a couple or so rounds.

NearHull

Visit site
Last year, the xxxxxxxxxx ball salesman was positioning at our club with the full range of his company’s golf balls. We were able to use all the range of the balls on the putting green and after a bit of a promo talk he quizzed each of us there ( mid week roll up of 20ish) of how we swung and what we wanted from a ball. He then gave each of us two balls that he thought may improve our shots.

He made two statements that we thought were enlightening,

First, when asked which ball was longest/shortest off the tee answered “Why would we make a ball that is shorter than the others off the tee? We wouldn’t sell many of those.”

Second, after trying the range of balls on the putting green and not really finding any ‘feel’ difference he offered “there is not a golfer in this club who could feel the difference between balls but you can all hear the difference.”

His conclusion was that for the amateur golfer, it is all about the flight and landing of the differing balls that we should concentrate on.

(My free balls were designed to give a higher flight than my normal ones - did they, I’m not sure, I thought they did and I thought I was shorter than normal on my approach shots - but it could have been in my imagination.)