Slow Starter

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Society day yesterday at Ballard’s Gore GC in Essex, had 4 measly points on the front 9, having a right stinker.

Got my act together and shot 23 points on the back 9 for a total of 27.

Wish I could have another 9 straight after and write off the first 9.

Anyone else a slow starter?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Yep,quite common for me to blob the 1st hole.
Probably doesn't help that I haven't swung a club for a week or 2.
I

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i tend to be a slow starter, but that mainly as i just rock up on the first tee without and warm up or practice.

didn't score a point yesterday until the 4th

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No particular pattern for me - can mess up any series of holes; or score well on them!
On balance I tend to start better and end up beating myself through over thinking or trying to tweak things.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Society day yesterday at Ballard’s Gore GC in Essex, had 4 measly points on the front 9, having a right stinker.

It takes about 5 holes to get into a round if you just turn up and go , Thats why I hit about 25 balls in the net then some chips and a few long putts and lastly a few short ones around 4 foot ..................takes about 20 mins , did you go on the course cold ?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, add me to the list.

Our first 3 holes are OOB down the right side and I'm susceptible to a slice in the first few holes if I'm not swinging smoothly. Blow most my rounds before I even get going. :angry:

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep, not good at starting a round, Saturday I had a blob on the first 3 holes, 4 putting the 1st !! And a score of 10 points at the turn.

Back 9 I woke up and scored 23 points, in which I had 5 pars in the last 6 holes.

I also never warm up, I drive to club house and have a coffee then onto first tee and rip it, normally into the trees down the right.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played with Golfmmad in his invitation day a month or two ago. Started with 6 straight blobs!! Scored 3 points on the next 2 holes and then blobbed the 9th.
Started the back 9 with a blob too!!
Then my game went to pieces.
:mad:

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It takes about 5 holes to get into a round if you just turn up and go , Thats why I hit about 25 balls in the net then some chips and a few long putts and lastly a few short ones around 4 foot ..................takes about 20 mins , did you go on the course cold ?

Pretty much, I had 10 mins in the nets and 5 mins putting, but was first time I had picked up a club in 5 weeks, so yeah you could say I was cold :D

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm off 16 and usually a member of the slow starter club. However, a couple of weeks back found myself in very unfamiliar territory +2 after 10! Made a rapid return to reality and proceeded to foul up on some of the easiest holes on the course.
It's not easy this game.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I also never warm up, I drive to club house and have a coffee then onto first tee and rip it, normally into the trees down the right.

Ha ha, me too! Life's too short for practice. Although this philosophy may explain my inexorable string of 0.1 increases....

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

At Ballards I start to pick up after getting the horrid 2nd hole out the way.

It starts with a gentle 140ish yd par 3 on the 1st.
The 2nd being a nasty blind drive over a lake, followed by the 2nd water hazard leading to a raised green.

Once on the tee of the 3rd I can flush a good drive & start my round properly.

It's a lovely course that starts horribly!

But any course I get 1st tee nerves & takes me 3-4 holes to settle in.

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At Ballards I start to pick up after getting the horrid 2nd hole out the way.

It starts with a gentle 140ish yd par 3 on the 1st.
The 2nd being a nasty blind drive over a lake, followed by the 2nd water hazard leading to a raised green.

Once on the tee of the 3rd I can flush a good drive & start my round properly.

It's a lovely course that starts horribly!

But any course I get 1st tee nerves & takes me 3-4 holes to settle in.

Was only my 2nd time of playing there but I liked the first hole, although I blobbed it!

I'm the same thought, wherever I play I never get off to a good start, normally 9 holes is needed before I'm warmed up

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
playing Woodlands Manor a couple of years back,couldnt hit the proverbial cows backside with a banjo for nine holes.
stood on the tenth tee 11 over par and wondering what was happening to my game .the back nine was played level par gross and i ended up three under h/cap.
bloody silly game.