Slow starter or what?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I'm a notoriously slow starter. Excelled myself today. 1st, knocked it into bunker, failed to get out, picked up. 2nd, drove into bunker, splash out, miss green with 3rd, chip on, miss putt, pick up. 3rd, poor drive, almost decapitate partner standing in front & 45° to the left, pick up. 4th to 13th, 10 pars & a birdie, followed by a level par finish. I suppose a warm up would help but, really, it has me tearing my hair out.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm a notoriously slow starter. Excelled myself today. 1st, knocked it into bunker, failed to get out, picked up. 2nd, drove into bunker, splash out, miss green with 3rd, chip on, miss putt, pick up. 3rd, poor drive, almost decapitate partner standing in front & 45° to the left, pick up. 4th to 13th, 10 pars & a birdie, followed by a level par finish. I suppose a warm up would help but, really, it has me tearing my hair out.
I think you've answered your own question sir!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think you answered your own question Bill. Warm up. I'm the same, Saturday being a good example. 5pts after 4 holes became 37pts after 18 holes. Time and again all year I've finished on or near the podium but with very poor starts. My 2 best starts were when I got to the club early and spent 20 mins on the range and around the practice green.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you answered your own question Bill. Warm up. I'm the same, Saturday being a good example. 5pts after 4 holes became 37pts after 18 holes. Time and again all year I've finished on or near the podium but with very poor starts. My 2 best starts were when I got to the club early and spent 20 mins on the range and around the practice green.
What and give up a bacon roll ? No way Jose.;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What and give up a bacon roll ? No way Jose.;)

LOL, I know you know there's the little chuckle buses out here in Spain. At Desert Springs and Valle Del Este you order the bacon roll when the chuckle bus turns up and it comes out on the next bus.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always like to hit a few balls before I go out even if its the weekend roll up. Sadly the balls are drawn at 7.45 and at the moment too dark to do this before the draw so have been playing cold and struggling early on. Really makes a difference when I do hit balls even if it's only a confidence thing in my head

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not big on warm ups but 6 balls with a 6 iron followed by another 6 with a 5 wood in the nets takes a couple of minutes and makes all the difference. Can’t be bothered with the range even if I have the time,

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course has no range or practise area, so for a long time I had a problem with starting poorly. First hole is a tough par 3 as well. But I've had better results since I started doing some yoga-type stretches before we start playing. It's mainly rotation stuff to loosen up my back and arms so I'm not too stiff. Particularly as I tend to have only woken up an hour and half before teeing off.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to get a few hits in the net before a round if time permits. Usually hit 3 balls with 9, 7, 5, Hybrid and driver, then just a couple of chips into the net aswell. If I don't have time then I'll just use a resistance band for stretching and give it a couple of swings.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same as me. At Knebworth the 1st 3 holes have OOB all down the right and I'm prone to loosing the first few teeshots right. So in a medal I can quite easily do most of my handicap before I get to the 4th :eek:.

Even tried 4i or 5i off the tee and playing them as bogey holes to at least keep myself in it and still manage to loose 1 or two of them right.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site

I am the same. First two or three holes are generally rubbish, by which time I have blown a decent round. If I am playing a comp I hit a bucket of balls first, as this tends to help

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am the same, always start terribly. During the summer I tee off at 7 but still try and get there 20 mins before to hit 8-10 shots in the net. There is just something about feeling club on ball which helps a lot more than just practice swinging.

I always play my best golf after I have warmed up properly but it is difficult getting out of bed 30 mins earlier to ensure I do it.

In the winter it is dark when I arrive and we are out at first light so no time to warm up at all.

I have been known to be 6 over after 3 and then finish 8 over after 18

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am prone to hitting a pile of ripper magoos when warming up in a net.

Fine once I am out on the course.

If I only have a limited time. I just hit a few chip and runs to get my eye in, see the speed of the greens and also how soft or firm they are.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am the same, always start terribly. During the summer I tee off at 7 but still try and get there 20 mins before to hit 8-10 shots in the net. There is just something about feeling club on ball which helps a lot more than just practice swinging.

I always play my best golf after I have warmed up properly but it is difficult getting out of bed 30 mins earlier to ensure I do it.

In the winter it is dark when I arrive and we are out at first light so no time to warm up at all.

I have been known to be 6 over after 3 and then finish 8 over after 18
Definitely agree there's something reassuring standing on the first knowing you've hit a handful of balls (and hopefully hit them well). I won't get a chance to hit balls before the draw is done tomorrow for the roll up so I'll be rushing to the nets as soon as I know who I'm playing with to get my swing going as best I can. Not ideal but better that than nothing at all