Slow PC????

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For a while now, my PC has been driving me mad. Pages slow to load, pages freezing etc. I put it all down to issues with Vista and the latest version of Firefox. Installed Windows 7 a week or two ago in the hope that it would speed things up a little, but unfortunately that didn't help either.
Did a bit of searching and downloaded this last night....
http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-System...stPopTwoColWrap

Completely free of charge, and a doddle to use. I'm a numpty where PC's are concerned but this is so easy, one click and it fixes dodgy registry entries, de-frags, you name it, it does it.
Spent about 20 minutes last night going through the various options it gives you and I've got to be honest, my PC is now performing how it did when it was new!
Pages are loading a heck of a lot quicker, and it has totally transformed my web browsing.
If you are suffering from a slow PC it's well worth a crack. Highly recommended.
Rob

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the same recently and traced it to a clash between Firefox and AVG antivirus. I installed a different antivirus and the problem went

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had the same recently and traced it to a clash between Firefox and AVG antivirus. I installed a different antivirus and the problem went

I used to use AVG "Free" but had problems quite a few months ago when they upgraded it so switched to Avira which I find superb. It's not free, but it's good.
But lately I have been really suffering with web browsing and have tried numerous things. The link above has sorted it out. I cannot believe the difference it has made, and it's worth a shot on any PC I reckon. I trust any download from CNET and had no qualms about installing it.
Try it
;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting, My PC has been more than sluggish of late and I have the same mix of Firefox/AVG (whatever the latest freebie version is).

I also seem to have programs in the Start menu that I would love to get out but don't seem to be able to - too much trying to start at once?

I've got a registry cleaner but being in the purely front-end group, I have no idea what the files are that it identifies, as far as I know it could be something really essential.

I'm not in position to reload from scratch; one I haven't a clue how (or the patience), and two, I don't have the disks as mine was built for me and the source disks are 'not available at this time'.

I've also never managed to get XP3 to load. The 'fault' seems to be a common one but the explanation could be in Chinese for all the good it is.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that Smiffy.
As it happens, I have just run DiscClean before reading your post and I see some improvement but I have bookmarked your link.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that Smiffy.
As it happens, I have just run DiscClean before reading your post and I see some improvement but I have bookmarked your link.

I downloaded it this morning and installed it on my works PC. Bloody thing had been crawling like a tortoise for ages. It's now cooking on gas.
Nothing but "good" to report thus far
;)

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Excellent, only last night my Laptop seemed to grind to a complete halt. Task Manager showed that "Explore.exe" was taking up nearly 100% CPU, so I closed it and re-ran "Desktop" and it did it again. I've been using Firefox and Avast! AVG for ages without issue, though things have been a touch slower of late.

I'll try the link and see how I get on.

Thanks.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have recently installed Comodo internet security suite. It's free and easy to download and install seems to work well, also I use Glary utilities also free this sorts out all of the rubbish and start menu programmes, temporary internet files and more that slow the pc down. both are trustworthy and great programmes,give them a go.

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice one Smiffy
My PCs been as fast as a crippled snail for a while now,hadn't attributed the prob to AVG but after reading your post thought I'd give it a whirl. What a difference my PCs now as fast as a racing snake. :cool:

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
The latest versions of AVG and Firefox don't like each other and frequently express this dislike by making your PC crawl along at 1mph.

It's a shame as both were cutting edge, lean products a few years ago. Now both suffer from software bloat.

Comodo Internet Security (free) with Firefox is a much better combination although Google Chrome is also pretty good.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
*cough* Macs rule *cough*

Had mine 2yrs, never slowed, never died, just does what you want, when you want, and how you want, and looks frickin marvellous while it does it.

overview_hero1_20091020.png

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Dont forget to check out how much RAM you have as not enough will slow down your PC too.

hit Start, RIGHT click "Computer", Left Click "Properties"
and a little box will pop up and tell you how much you have
got

It varies with operating system

win 98 512mb Min (If this is you, just upgrade)
Win XP 1GB MIN
Vista 2GB ABSOLUTE MINIMUM
Win7 2Gb

Pop over to www.crucial.com/uk to scan your PC and check prices

Fragger is a Computer Engineer

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Now you've got me worried,

its telling me I've only got 480MB and I know I should have way more than that, I put in some RAM expansion ages ago!

You actually have 512mb but 32 Mb is nicked by your onboard graphics card, leaving 480mb

what is your operating system?
I expect you have XP, you started with 256mb then doubled it a few years ago

if your PC is slow then do a crucial scan www.crucial.com/uk
and see what comes out, it may be that your motherboard maxes out at 512mb in which case you are stuffed.

If in doubt PM me

Fragger

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The latest versions of AVG and Firefox don't like each other and frequently express this dislike by making your PC crawl along at 1mph.

Nah. I've got firefox and AVG on both laptop and desktop...both still supercharged with NoS.

I expect it's more to do with all the extras the packages offer (especially firefox)....as ever, it's not the nuts and bolts stuff, it's the downloadable rubbish we are all tempted to install. I don't go near any of it. NEVER.

I learned the hard way though after downloading a "registry fix" type program years ago. I had to reformat and start again.

Having said that - Cnet download is one of my top recommendations, if it comes through there it's a safe as far as any download is safe.