Slipping on your backside.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The issue of waiting a long time on wet grass and getting cold and/ or wet, means that in certain situations it's worth moving someone rather than waiting.
Who makes that decision when the injured person is in shock ?
What are the situations you think it’s ok .?
If it was me I hope I am found by someone who knows what they are doing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only wear spikeless Ecco’s now, and the only time they slip is when everyone else does in spikes because it is just mud you are on and no grass to provide any traction. It is no different to mountain bike riding, I used to always try and pick a route through slippy stuff that had so grass or other substance to provide traction.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back to the original point, I only have spikeless shoes but play on a very flat course, as was my previous club. I never feel unbalanced, have never slipped in them. I'm playing quite a hilly course in a few weeks, there are 3-4 steep climbs, and I will be extremely careful at those points, more going down them than up. One section in particular is a H & S nightmare that will be interesting to play in December to say the least.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back to the original point, I only have spikeless shoes but play on a very flat course, as was my previous club. I never feel unbalanced, have never slipped in them. I'm playing quite a hilly course in a few weeks, there are 3-4 steep climbs, and I will be extremely careful at those points, more going down them than up. One section in particular is a H & S nightmare that will be interesting to play in December to say the least.
Your ok as long as there is some grass underfoot .
We just noticed the bare areas that havnt recovered from the hot weather are like stepping on ice.
Once you realise your on one it’s to late.
They are very spread out it’s very easy not to notice.

sjw

Visit site
Sorry all, I can see I've antagonised some. Poorly written post on my behalf. Should have read "there are volunteers with cars and the injured person can be moved safely", obviously. I've seen too many times through my ex partner people who take the mick with ambulance services that it boils my blood. Bone sticking out the leg is probably time for an ambulance!

D

Deleted member 29109

Sorry all, I can see I've antagonised some. Poorly written post on my behalf. Should have read "there are volunteers with cars and the injured person can be moved safely", obviously. I've seen too many times through my ex partner people who take the mick with ambulance services that it boils my blood. Bone sticking out the leg is probably time for an ambulance!

There is a huge difference between a bone sticking out of someone’s leg and and a dislocated shoulder. One clearly needs an ambulance the other probably doesn’t. But that won’t stop some people getting angry about it by applying what was said to an unrelated incident.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Pro stingers for Winter always(y)
This. I have them in an old pair of Footjoy Dryjoys, specifically for winter use. I think they're pretty much better than anything else on wet and hilly courses like ours. However, I think Champ have stopped making them, so they're getting more difficult to source now.
Masters Golf also do the Ultra Grip equivalent.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Fair play for clarifying. (y) Fully understand and agree with the sentiment regarding misuse of the ambulance service having seen it on a regular basis.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Who makes that decision when the injured person is in shock ?
What are the situations you think it’s ok .?
If it was me I hope I am found by someone who knows what they are doing.

FWIW I was first aid trained for 6 years.

Clearly you're better off, wherever possible, waiting for an ambulance and you should always take advice from the call handler.

But as an observation anyone (especially the elderly), sat out on a golf course with a fractured leg in the wet and cold is in significant danger of hypothermia and death if you leave them waiting for medical assistance for a long period of time.

Shock can kill on its own, add in cold and wet and a long wait and you've got potentially serious issues.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FWIW I was first aid trained for 6 years.

Clearly you're better off, wherever possible, waiting for an ambulance and you should always take advice from the call handler.

But as an observation anyone (especially the elderly), sat out on a golf course with a fractured leg in the wet and cold is in significant danger of hypothermia and death if you leave them waiting for medical assistance for a long period of time.

Shock can kill on its own, add in cold and wet and a long wait and you've got potentially serious issues.
Yes it’s a tough call.
But have you ever tried to get anyone into a car with a leg injury.
Can you imagine if it’s broken, you can damage major arteries with the broken bones.
Shoulder injury yes ,broken bones in legs no no.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Much more embarrassing is when some poor sap tees off on the 1st with the ground frozen underneath but partially melted on top…does a neat spin…and lands rather inelegantly on his jacksy in front of a dozen others…?

Yes, that poor sap…?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes it’s a tough call.
Can you imagine if it’s broken, you can damage major arteries with the broken bones.
like all these things it rather depends on which bit of leg and how broken. Supporting someone with a broken ankle would not generally be a problem for most I suspect.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Yes it’s a tough call.

Depends on the break. People break legs and carry on walking on a regular basis. The human body is remarkable.

There's never a situation where you wouldn't try and move someone if death is the alternative to the status quo (especially if you're in the middle of a golf course). Splint the leg with golf clubs!

Somewhat related.... I once helped an old lady who fell and broke an arm. We waited for an hour and 45 mins for an ambulance by the side of the road as a 'non emergency'. I rang twice before on the third occasion i told them she was shaking and cold. Ambulance arrived 5 mins later.

Sadly you won't get that now because many paramedics are just stretched beyond belief. You get what you vote for, sadly.

oleinone

Visit site
Guy slipped on a wet, steep and leaf covered slope last winter and broke a bone in his wrist - instinctively trying to break his fall. Much the same as Bairstow who said he should have settled for a soft landing on his ample backside.

Last edited: