Slipping on your backside.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a few little slips on the course lately while working and playing.
I was blaming my spikeless shoes.
But played yesterday and slipped in my softspikes.
Got me thinking.
It’s the burnt patches that havnt recovered from the hot weather.
No grass and the roots are crumbling.
We have some very steep slopes around our greens and they are very dangerous atm.
So be careful out there.
Anyone else noticed this.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a lot of slopes but my ECCO Spineless cope with them very well.
Yet to slip or lose traction.
But I've see a few on their backsides recently...

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Quite a few patches like this at our club - we even had a broken ankle on the course last winter (vice captain too!) due to someone slipping while walking down from a tee box!

Fortunately it was the easiest to access hole for an ambulance and he was tended to quickly - but you've got to be careful!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a lot of slopes but my ECCO Spineless cope with them very well.
Yet to slip or lose traction.
But I've see a few on their backsides recently...
I ha Ecco 3 spikeless on .
I did notice the lugs are very much inline.
It’s just the ground imo never had an issue before.

sjw

Visit site
Quite a few patches like this at our club - we even had a broken ankle on the course last winter (vice captain too!) due to someone slipping while walking down from a tee box!

Fortunately it was the easiest to access hole for an ambulance and he was tended to quickly - but you've got to be careful!
I'm impressed you got an ambulance out for a broken ankle. That must (should) have been a long wait?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I too am amazed about this. A few years ago one of the elderly players slipped and dislocated his shoulder, he had to wait over 3 hours for an ambulance ( several of us offered to take him to the hospital which is only a few minutes drive up the road but he would not take up the offers).

sjw

Visit site
I too am amazed about this. A few years ago one of the elderly players slipped and dislocated his shoulder, he had to wait over 3 hours for an ambulance ( several of us offered to take him to the hospital which is only a few minutes drive up the road but he would not take up the offers).

Ambulances are not for broken bones when there are cars and willing volunteers to help, unless it's a broken neck, back or skull. Calling out an ambulance for a broken ankle or a dislocated shoulder with others about is selfish, and a waste of resources.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm impressed you got an ambulance out for a broken ankle. That must (should) have been a long wait?

If you've got a guy who literally cant walk anywhere in the middle of a field with a bone sticking out his leg you call an ambulance in my mind :ROFLMAO:

Don't even think he was waiting long! Maybe a quiet morning in Worcester, who knows! I just know they did come and helped him.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ambulances are not for broken bones when there are cars and willing volunteers to help, unless it's a broken neck, back or skull. Calling out an ambulance for a broken ankle or a dislocated shoulder with others about is selfish, and a waste of resources.
How do you know it’s only a broken ankle ?
The fall could have damaged other things.
I can see the ambulance waiting times causing problems with people moving casualties when they should not.
You can do a lot of damage moving an injured person if you don’t know what your doing.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

A friend of mine tried to call an ambulance for his wife on a Friday night about 18 months back, and was denied. She was booked in for CT scan with the same complaint the following week and the dispatcher said it wasn't an emergency - even though she was in absolute agony.

It was bowel cancer, which has now spread and is uncurable - so, I'd agree, if you think you need an ambulance, think about the others that might need one as well. I'm not suggesting it made much difference to my friends prognosis, but when NHS resources are stretched to the limit, it will effect somebody else who is a geunine emergency. If an ambulance can get in close proximity to the patient, so can a car.

Ian_George

Visit site
I'd add any injury that immobilises the victim - which includes the likes of broken ankles or ANYTHING balance related!
The OP and subsequent messages does serve as a 'healthy' reminder that at this time of year it's worthwhile checking whether spikes , especially soft-spikes, should be replaced.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

My wife fell down a staircase at work; dislocated shoulder and a quadruple fracture of the humerus. By your definition suitable for transportation to hospital by a willing volunteer in a private car. My father in law broke a hip, which subsequently led to his death; again suitable for transport in a private car by a willing volunteer.

I can only think that you are on a wind up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife fell down a staircase at work; dislocated shoulder and a quadruple fracture of the humerus. By your definition suitable for transportation to hospital by a willing volunteer in a private car. My father in law broke a hip, which subsequently led to his death; again suitable for transport in a private car by a willing volunteer.

I can only think that you are on a wind up.
Yes look what happened to Superman when he fell off his horse.
A well intentioned person put him in a wheelchair for life moving him.
First thing your taught in first aid is “ don’t move them unless absolute necessary.”

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes look what happened to Superman when he fell off his horse.
A well intentioned person put him in a wheelchair for life moving him.
First thing your taught in first aid is “ don’t move them unless absolute necessary.

The motorcyclist's nightmare; survive the off and then lose the use of your legs because some well intentioned amateur moved you.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The issue of waiting a long time on wet grass and getting cold and/ or wet, means that in certain situations it's worth moving someone rather than waiting.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The issue of waiting a long time on wet grass and getting cold and/ or wet, means that in certain situations it's worth moving someone rather than waiting.
Only if you know they can tell you where and what hurts, and even then immobilising an injured part of the body is essential for the long term health of the person.