Slicing Putts At Impact

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got an annoying habit of slightly slicing putts at impact, so the face is closed. I feel in my stroke i am coming across the putt. I've tried changing everything from ball position (left and closer/further), slight arc, to straight back and straight through, alignment of body, different grip pressures, taking fingers out the grip, trying different putter styles and weights. Im over the ball, steady and still, and im using mainly shoulders and arms for power.

Im getting a lesson soon, but wondering if anyone had any advice. Im going slightly insane trying to work out the problem.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
Ball position too far forward?

Tried middle back and forward

Hips turning into impact?

I use a wide stance my hips are like gibraltar.

Flicking with your hands]

tried using a homemade brace to ensure my wrists werent breaking down.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try putting 2 long tee pegs into the ground so that your putter sneaks between them, with a bit to spare, and another pair same distance apart a bit closer to the hole. Then swing between them without hitting any tee! Do that a couple of tomes without a ball first, then put the ball in between the 2 pairs.

The actual alignment of the 2 pairs of tees will depend on whether you are a Straight Back Straight Through (straight at target) of Arc (pairs seeming to aim slight left of target).

Warning! This may not cure the fundamental problem, which could be a number of things - like shoulder alignment etc., but it can help identify it - and does act as a 'quick fix' too.

Last edited:

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
Try putting 2 long tee pegs into the ground so that your putter sneaks between them, with a bit to spare, and another pair same distance apart a bit closer to the hole. Then swing between them without hitting any tee! Do that a couple of tomes without a ball first, then put the ball in between the 2 pairs.

The actual alignment of the 2 pairs of tees will depend on whether you are a Straight Back Straight Through (straight at target) of Arc (pairs seeming to aim slight left of target).

Warning! This may not cure the fundamental problem, which could be a number of things - like shoulder alignment etc., but it can help identify it - and does act as a 'quick fix' too.

Awesome sauce. I shall try that with nails through the putting carpet as im putting indoors.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

THIS.

I had (sometimes still have) the same problem fella. Since dedicated putting practice, I've managed to groove a better stroke, and reduce a sliced contact. I've done this on the putting green using pretty much the same drill Foxholer has described. Get on Youtube and enter 'Tiger Gate Drill'. Simple and effective! Good luck.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
..so tried 2 hours of the gate after stressy day. Literally everything pulling. Tried all styles and different putters. Took some kalms had a cup of tea..every style of putt and putter landing.

So obviously some tension related thing