slazenger f.a.s.t. irons

john1971

Medal Winner
Visit site
has any1 tryed these out yet they get big raves on t.v. but thats all show is it not? If the do what they say surely all your big guns will be bankrupt shortly.
I'm also looking 4 a place where u can try them out first rather than this 30 day money back stuff through the post.
p.s. i live in the glasgow area.
thanks

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
has any1 tryed these out yet they get big raves on t.v. but thats all show is it not? If the do what they say surely all your big guns will be bankrupt shortly.
I'm also looking 4 a place where u can try them out first rather than this 30 day money back stuff through the post.
thanks

haven't tried them but they strike me (if you'll parden the pun) as a false economy. Are you anywhere near an American Golf or similar where you could try a few clubs out and just get a feel for the market maybe?

Both MD and Benross are spoken of very highly on here and don't bear the weight of multi-national synicated advertising in their RRP.

Another way of thinking about it might be,: When was the last time you bought anything that was any good available from a catalogue only?

More that willing to stand corrected by FAST users out there just loving their kit.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe the slaz. brand is owned by JJB.The store near me has a small room with nets where you can try before you buy,not really efficient but at least it will prove you can hit them 12ft

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't do it.

Alien wedge, Fast irons, K1 speed, all rubbish. There are more too, they all used to be advertised on the golf channel.

Noooooo!

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Murph, I've got a mate who has a set of slazengers. He gets on fine with them and plays of 25.

I think its all about what you are after John. If you're looking for a reasonable starter set then they might be worth a go but also try a ben ross set. If you are looking for a set that are going to last a good few years and improve your game then I'd go for King Cobra/Ping/Mizuno etc.

Them Ping G5's are still going if thats what you're after.

john1971

Medal Winner
Visit site
thanks lads for the quick reply.
just watch the advert again and wonder if kenny dalgleish or tony jacklin use them when there are out!!!!!!
think not lads what u think?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I certainly look at MD, Benross or old model "premium" brands rather than go for these.
Don't get me wrong, most modern stuff is OK, but sports shop goods are built to an even lower price than the rest. Also, no matter how well you play, you'll always be thinking "what if I had a really tasty set of Mizuno/Titleist/TM/Ping/Callaway?"

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sorry but had to do that.

At the end of the day, for the same price you can get a fantastic set of MD's as dave selected, a set of Cobras (which I strongly recommend) or some very good 2nd hand top-end irons.

If the FAST irons were any good they would be stokced by golf retailers surely.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks lads for the quick reply.
just watch the advert again and wonder if kenny dalgleish or tony jacklin use them when there are out!!!!!!
think not lads what u think?

Nah they wouldn't be that stupid. The marketing thing where they try and make it seem as if celebrity figures do use them is funny, reminds me of the K1 speed where Sam torrence delcares that it is the best driver he has ever used. Why then does he use a taylormade driver on the senior tours? ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No dont' do it. They are the devils work. There are so many cheap sets by reputable manufacturers for a newbie or someone getting back into golf to buy. Don't touch any of the products on these TV channels. They are cheap worthless tat

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
thanks

haven't tried them but they strike me (if you'll parden the pun) as a false economy. Are you anywhere near an American Golf or similar where you could try a few clubs out and just get a feel for the market maybe?

Both MD and Benross are spoken of very highly on here and don't bear the weight of multi-national synicated advertising in their RRP.

Another way of thinking about it might be,: When was the last time you bought anything that was any good available from a catalogue only?

More that willing to stand corrected by FAST users out there just loving their kit.

It's a lot of money to chuck at a pasttime without being sure it's for you yet. I'm assuming you don't own any clubs and may be on the cusp of making it a regular thing. If that's not the case then please accept my apologies and ignore the rest of this.

If a little bird could have come a tweeted in my shell-like when I first went to get clubs then I would have liked them to say the following:-

1. Don't be tempted to just budget for irons.

You'll need a putter and maybe a five or three wood once you can get it off the floor and the sweep of a wood is easier to achieve (though not master) that clipping a iron neatly off the turf.

There's golf balls, tees and a glove- cheap but not free and a bag to put them in too. If you get all this thrown in for the same price as just the irons from another manufacturer then that means a compromise somewhere.

2. Shiny isn't always best.

Good clubs hold their residuals for a reason. The heads don't fall off or snap, they are built with modification and adjustment in mind (unlike my first alloy set that couldn't be - didn't have a little bird see?) and at some point in their lives they would have been cutting edge . Trends change- the laws of physics don't. I've got a Zing Ping putter that cost me £30 out of a sin bin ten years ago. I know for a fact this model was similar to that used by Monty at some point in the dim and distant past. If he doesn't now does that make it garbage?

3. Try before you buy

You may not have 30 years of experience behind you to map the differences to the last gramme but you'll be surprised how , given a few minutes without someone breathing Tic Tac's down your neck, you'll quickly tune into your own better - worse feel.

If you can't try it first (to your satisfaction) then walk away. If the experience of buying starts to feel more like a rush round McDonalds than a jaunt round John Lewis- walk away.

Hope you get what you're looking for .

bill

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Support all of the above views. If you are looking for a good, cheap beginners set look at Benross or MD Blackhawks. If you are set on having a set of irons that all play like hybrids then Cleveland do a decen Hi-Bore set for not much more. I have never bought anything from JJB other than a couple of big bags of tees and do not intend changing that. JJB is where decent old brands go to die.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
JJB is where decent old brands go to die.
Mostly but not always - I got my Ping G5 driver from JJB for a very good price cos the spec not really popular (9 degree stiff - just what I needed)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Slazenger, owned by JJB, The Golf Channel that they're advertised on, owned by JJB, seen a link yet?

JJB are launching into the golf market quite seriously in the near future, with stores within a store concept. I believe that they're 'opening' 150 golf stores over the next year. Apparently selling quality gear as well as 'own brand' stuff. They're gunning for the AG and NB customers. However if they're offering £16K (I've been informed) to the managers of these golf stores I can't see any quality staff working there!

I can only see them competeing with Argos really.

As others have said, go for a branded product, even last years model, MX17's are quite cheap for example. But go somewhere where you can at least try them, and get some good advice.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
To add, as I'm flicking through the new Todays Golfer mag!!

Slaz FASTS are £299!!!!!! A 2 star rating from the mag!!
Anything else I need to add.

Buy this months TG and it has a whole host of irons on evaluation. eg. best budget buy Benross VeloCT Combo £229, or (not heard of them, but highly rated), Orka Kii CTi (where do they make these names up?) £199. Or even my faves at the moment, Mizuno MX19s for under £300!!

Just don't fall for all the hype on the TV channel.

Good luck.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have also read TGs reviews of irons. I have the Orka Kii CTi irons and love them. find the wedges particularly good in my set.