skying the driver

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
started to sky driver recently. ball positio off left heel, teed to show half the ball above grounded driver.

I think i am hitting down on ball and must be shifting my weight on downswing. Am trying to keep head behind ball, tilting left hip/shoulder higher than right to encourage an upward strike, but cant seem to do thes things naturally and would like any drills to help me get th right feel.

On the upside the irons and hybrid are working well and as a side question, does anyone consciously use a different swing for driver from the one used on irons?

All feedback welcomed

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you have a video or can you get one?

no, i dont have a video atm. I am on phone hence the typos. will try and get something done later.
Pretty sure i am steep on downswing as my driver has scuff marks on crown. just need to find some sort of drill to flatten out swing and stop my big weight shift at/before impact - kind of know whats wrong but not sinking in to my big daft head on how to prevent it

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had the same problem, and it was like you said because I was hitting down on it too much. I found that with advice from my pro, the best option for me was to set up as normal but then from the hips slide my shoulders to my right (right handed) which spread the weight more evenly, maybe a tad more onto my right foot. Since doing this my drives have been much better. Althoug take s a bit of getting used to, as you may release the club too early at first resulting in a hook.

Hope that helps.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had the same problem, and it was like you said because I was hitting down on it too much. I found that with advice from my pro, the best option for me was to set up as normal but then from the hips slide my shoulders to my right (right handed) which spread the weight more evenly, maybe a tad more onto my right foot. Since doing this my drives have been much better. Althoug take s a bit of getting used to, as you may release the club too early at first resulting in a hook.

Hope that helps.

thanks for reply. i hit a few balls tonight off the tee and found that if i dont try and kill it, i have more awareness of whats going on and give myself half a chance of feeling what is happening with clubface and what going on at impact. Tempo seems to be the main thing and i have always found that if i try to hit the ball too hard the technique goes

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hope that helps.

I also had this advice and my driving has improved ten fold!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Tempo seems to be the main thing and i have always found that if i try to hit the ball too hard the technique goes

I know I've shown it before but you could do a lot worse than copy this guy's swing as it may help with your tempo.

[video=youtube;mcfVZ6JwHJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfVZ6JwHJ8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went through a terrible period of skying and topping. It was ruining my game, and had come out of the blue after doing some lessons and drills on other things.

Basically, as I was swaying crazy amounts (on the backswing), my weight shift back to the front foot was OK, but as soon as I stopped swaying miles, I was then too far forward at impact. My head was crazily forward.

It took me about 3 weeks and a dozen range sessions to stop doing it. My pro gave me some "drills" but t.b.h. I couldn't get on with them, so I just used mind over matter. I started off leaving my weight almost entirely on the back foot, concentrating just on where my head was. I often felt like I was watching a spot on the range mat a foot behind the ball. I did a lot of practise with a wooden coffee stirrer in my mouth pointing at a spot behind the ball, coming down and not letting my head come up until way after the ball had left, when it's (probably) impossible to stop your head moving to finish the swing.

Once I got the feeling, it became quite easy and totally transformed the "feel" of my downswing and finish. Weirdly I also got really nice extension through the ball with my arms. My Pro put me on video once I felt it was good, and he said my impact position was "a completely different player". Since then, I've been playing great. I felt the old habits creeping back in yesterday though, so I need to get back to it.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know I've shown it before but you could do a lot worse than copy this guy's swing as it may help with your tempo.

[video=youtube;mcfVZ6JwHJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfVZ6JwHJ8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nice video, very smooth and controlled swing. Starting to come round to the idea of 'less is more' - who is the guy?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
RGD, how was your iron striking before and after change to downswing

Fine. Probably better overall.

I was really struggling, I have to tell you. As soon as I made the change and it started to "work" I noticed an improvement. Better trajectory, sweeter hit, nice results. Obviously you can get way in front of an iron and still get results, but it was such a relief to be hitting balls with the proper flight.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fine. Probably better overall.

I was really struggling, I have to tell you. As soon as I made the change and it started to "work" I noticed an improvement. Better trajectory, sweeter hit, nice results. Obviously you can get way in front of an iron and still get results, but it was such a relief to be hitting balls with the proper flight.

Thats good and would explain the odd shot going much further with lower flight as i am likely delofting as ahead of ball