skycaddie sg 2.5 or 5... advice please

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
looking at getting a cheap used GPS and noticed these go between 30-60 quid on ebay. (theres a 2.5 for BIN £20 atm)

Is the 5 a lot better than the 2.5, although I'm not bothered about colour screens etc if the difference is worth it then I may aswell get the 5. I know theres an annual fee but as a nomad this year I will be playing a variety of pay and plays so fancied a dedicated gps. Do have golfshot but find signal can be iffy on some courses & it mullers my battery.

over to you chaps

1948griff

Medal Winner
Visit site
Used to have an SG5, the overview can be really useful on courses that you are not familiar with.
Got rid of it because I won a GolfBuddy Voice.
You might want to think about the £30 pa subscriptions...if your planning on keeping for a couple of years you should factor it in to the purchase price

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the 5 and love it, does everything I would want and more, the ability to move the pin position around the green is priceless. Subscriptions are dear mind you but when you break it down into rounds per year especially if you are a nomad and need to know the layout of unfamiliar courses then it works out peanuts.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've got a 2.5 - bought it a couple of years ago for £100 and it's excellent - subscription was a nuisance last year as it ran out in a week when I was skint - got it factored into this years budget so it shouldn't be a problem again - only thing that annoys me about the sky caddie is having to connect to computer to download courses - I'm playing a good few opens this year so will have to stay on top of that.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
30 quid a year is 60p a week, I spend that on a mars bar :)

might plump for the 5 although the 20 quid 2.5 is tempting. Then again should have kept my G3..... damn you golf for all this new tech every other week

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive got friends with Golf Buddy and even our own course are not mapped correctly on it, three holes are missing from the current configuration !
Personally wouldn't swap my skycaddie for another one at the moment, as I know the skycaddie is correct and they are coming back in a few months to remap 3 holes that have had a little bit of work on them.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I may be wrong but doesn't the 2.5 only give you yardages to the front, middle and back of the green??

I've got the 5 and it's money well spent, yardages to bunkers/hazards and the distance to carry them, also gives you yardages to lay up to and as some one already said you can move the pin around on the green view to where the pin actually is so you get a more accurate yardage.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the 2.5 and am very pleased with it, totally reliable and very accurate, I like the fact that I can add the temporary greens or map a course myself if I want to. I dont think you would be disappointed with the 2.5 if you chose the cheaper option

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, you get the same distance info as the sg5, only difference is you don't get the aerial view or fly by style views.

Ah right didn't realise that.

Personally I prefer the ariel view you get in the 5, especially playing new courses and ones with blind tee shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I prefer the 5. Bigger screen, and the overview function very useful on new courses. You do have to factor the annual subs into it though which is a big turn off for a lot of people. Also, if you are buying 2nd hand the owner may need to contact SC to transfer ownership as most devices are registered to a user and mail address

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I flogged it as I wasnt using it at my home course and got pretty much what I paid for it. In hindsight I should have kept it but hey ho.

Won a sg5 on ebay for 50 quid, forgot I bid as had a few bevvies last night and checked email this am to see I have won it :eek: