Sky or BBC?

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi. Fergus here. Just back from Augusta and I was wondering who won the battle for people's TV allegiance over the weekend? Saw a lot of the BBC guys around the place but Sky weren't quite so obvious. Which did people think was better?

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was happy with the BBC's effort this year. I think a lot of the mistakes seem to come from the host broadcaster.

It's a shame BBC had no live coverage on the Thursday and Friday. I suspect this is the thin edge of the wedge as it moves to 100% Sky coverage.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky by about a country mile.

Sure the commentary isn't quite as good, but I really don't mind the guys on Sky. I even enjoyed Monty!

The coverage overall was ALOT more indepth and there was more of it AND the HD looked better.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
have to agree with Aztecs, sky by a mile for me, even though the sound had to go off for bits when they were fawning over McIlroy (before he fell to pieces)

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sky's wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, but I really dont like watching Monty or Harmon, - in fact Harmon creeps me out he's so slimy, in that 'Im looking straight into the camera' kinda way.

So, BBc gets my vote........but then again, as has been said,.......wtf was Ken Brown on this year ? I like him, but he lost the plot this year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple fact is that BBC cannot ever show as much coverage as Sky. Even if they had full coverage of all days you cannot see them ditching their Thursday and Friday night schedules to show the golf and nor should it. The BBC is a public broadcaster and has to show something for everyone. In the long run Sky can be the only channel for golf as it is the only one that can dedicate enough time to show it all. The BBC is good for the occasional football match and highlights shows but it does not have the room in the schedule to show sufficient of anything else to make it worth bidding for full packages.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does seem as though BBC has had its day. I'm no Peter Alliss fan as the guy is so out-of-touch and senile it's actually embarrassing. It's only the Daily Mail readers and blue rinse brigade who keep him there.

Euan Murray, Bruce Critchley and the rest walk all over BBC every week and Livingstone is a very under-rated link man. Butch Harmon deserves a medal just for the line about "Tiger likes coming from behind".

Monty is a pain to look at and has much enthusiasm as a dead plant but he does talk some real sense.

Who won the bet between Monty "My lads" and Ray Wilkins "stay on your feet" though?

DCB

Visit site
Sky +1

Watched virtually all Sky coverage other than last wee bit late on Sunday after Rory had imploded. That's when I gave up and went to bed :(

SwingSlow

Head Pro
Visit site
Sky for the completeness of the coverage. I can never understand why the BBC don't show a bit of lateral thinking on their broadcasting. They always leave it on BBC 2 which means that they are limited to highlights of the first session and only can give the live coverage for the second half of the rounds and it is always competing with their regular programming. They have 2 spare channels on BBC 3 and BBC 4 which don't start broadcasting until 7:00 p.m., so why don't they use one of these to show the live coverage of the earlier sessions?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ended up staying with Sky for the weekend after watching their live coverage on the first 2 days. I think Alliss, although he has been brilliant in his time, has had his day and I like Bruce Critchley and Butch Harmon. Also agree with Paul S that Livingstone is under rated. He does his job in a simple, straightfoward way.

I also thought the Sky HD picture was better. Thought it was my imagination but I see others noticed it too. I even got to think Monty was not bad. Bland delivery but intelligent comments, as you'd expect. "Brownie", used to be good but is now a self parody (although I did like it when he blew a ball down to the hole to show the speed of the greens). Also feel that Hazel Irvine, whilst great at the Crucible, somehow isn't right for the golf course but can't explain why. Maybe not "outdoorsy" enough.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Just got Sky Sports the day before the Masters. I watched the first two days on Sky, about half Saturday on Sky then switched to BBC. On Sunday I watched the BBC all the way through.
The "coverage" was the same as supplied by the host broadcaster and was pretty disjointed, targeted at leaders only (Rory soon disappeared) and pretty poorly directed to be honest. Both Sky and BBC did OK comentary wise..... it just comes down to personal preference at the end of the day as to who's innane mutterings you prefer.
Personally, I like Allis/Brown et al so I'd always pick BBC over Sky and when they get their own camera teams and direction and no adverts they just can't be beaten.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sort of forgot about the bbc after watching sky the first 2 days.

Sky was pretty good, probably due to minimal ad breaks.

Do like the bbc open coverage with no ads though i must admit.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for this guys. So, looks like Sky was the preferred option. Have to say I agree with you NWJocko that lack of adverts is a key factor for me. Watching the coverage in the States it became so irritating with ad breaks every 7 minutes or so. But, at the Masters they rely on host broadcaster so have to fill those slots with chat or other...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Watched the first 2 days on Sky on the PC but watched the last 2 days on BBC HD.
As far as I'm concerned there wasn't much to choose between them - except I don't have to pay 30 quid a month or more for Sky Sports.........