Skillest

Chef1924

Visit site
Just downloaded this app and am quite intrigued.
Anyone had any success on it?
Difficult to know where to start when it comes to finding a coach so any advice welcome.
I have filtered by cost (low to high) and plenty of golf pros offering a $1 package for a single online lesson / swing analysis. Appears to be a one off payment. Feels too good to be true? Especially if you do the same with various different pros on the app.
I don't mind the idea of sending a few videos in online and getting some useful pointers I could work on in practice.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The problem with remote video analysis is a small change in camera location can suggest something different is wrong with your swing. I’d personally stick with a real lesson.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I've used it and found it good. I had about 5 or 6 lessons over 2 years with a guy in the US called Alex Moore who I found excellent, and dropped my index by 3.5 in that time. He'd provide feedback and drills within 24 hours everytime. His cost per lesson has went way up now so can't justify it any more.

As above, you need to have a consistent camera setup.

The biggest advantage of Skillest for me is all your previous lessons are retained in the app, so you can refer back and work on things in your own time. Also great to refer back to a lesson months or even years later if old habits are creeping back in.

It's a bit of a minefield choosing a coach.....one I've seen mentioned recently on Twitter is Ryan Mouque. I think he offers a free initial analysis.

Is it any better than in person coaching? That's probably entirely dependent on who's doing the coaching, and what you take from it. Would recommend giving it a go to see if it's for you.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have used this for a few years now and really enjoy it. Have tried a few coaches and it can be a bit hot and miss, I usually try looking them up on Instagram first. A lot of coaches put snippets of lessons on there so you can get an idea of what they are like.

The swing analysis for a quid is also just a kind of taster they point out a couple things that would help but don't advise how to fix they just let you know what they see.

I prefer it to an in person lesson as you can refer back and also upload whenever you want. I used a guy down in Australia for a while and it worked out at 8 quid a time, so I would happy for that every month/couple weeks depending how much work you put in compared to prices coaches charge for face to face lessons these days.

Ando

Visit site
This thread got me intrigued, how does it work with the £1 swing analysis? Do you just send a video of you hitting a shot and then get feedback, rather than it being an interactive lesson/discussion?

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
This thread got me intrigued, how does it work with the £1 swing analysis? Do you just send a video of you hitting a shot and then get feedback, rather than it being an interactive lesson/discussion?

Yes, 1 down the line swing, 1 face on swing and any comments you want to submit about common miss etc. then you'll get video feedback after they've analysed it. You can then submit any comments/clarifications via the app.

Ando

Visit site
Yes, 1 down the line swing, 1 face on swing and any comments you want to submit about common miss etc. then you'll get video feedback after they've analysed it. You can then submit any comments/clarifications via the app.
Nice one, thanks.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I have had regular in person lessons for years and recently signed up to an online Skillest subscription. I was paying around £130 a month for a very popular Skillest coach which included as many video uploads as I wanted.

What I found is it’s good to have the regular communication with a coach and can send videos on specific issues. The problem I found was you don’t get to ask the questions you would face to face and the videos you receive back are open to mis interpretation.

I found I got fed up of recording videos to send in and waiting 3 days for a reply.

I’m back to face to face now and find there’s no comparison.

The online coaches push Skillest hard as it’s easy money for them but it really is no substitute for face to face in my opinion