Single matchplay mind set

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 1st round game this Wednesday against a 2 handicapper away at Littlestone, a links Open qualifying course.

I've only ever played it once, last week as a practice. I play of 12 on a tree lined tight parkland course. Never really played much links golf.

Of 2 he's going to be hitting every green in regulation and I'm not! He's going to know the course very well and I'm not, he's going to know how to handle the wind and conditions, I'm not!

Now I'm only saying the above a bit tongue in cheek and not being negative, I'm looking forward to the afternoon and just playing with a low handicaper.

I've played the course, made notes about each hole, I've got their website hole descriptions printed off, a planner and a laser device all ready.

But How can go along with the mind set that I have got a chance?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have done very well in single matchplay this season, only lost once in 16 matches. Although its hard to give advice, you need to immediately forget any bad shots, try and make use of the shots you are receiving, only go for risky shots if your opponent is a very good position on the hole and never give up on a hole, he might be off 2 but he is still capable of hitting a duff shot and you are capable of hole from off the green or nailing a long putt.

and above all, enjoy it.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just go out play your own game use your shot holes and try not to out hit him unnecessarily, it's the score that counts not how it's achieved. Good luck and enjoy.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hes not guarenteed to play his best. If you can go and play to your handicap youve done well. I take it you have 10 shots?

Yep 10 shots. I know he has to be on his game and is going to be under pressure on these holes. I hope he's decent fella and not a up himself low player as you sometimes get in golf.