Single Length Irons

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Has anyone tried single length shafts for irons?

Seriously considering switching but wanted to get some inputs before pulling the trigger.

7255carl

Club Champion
www.loweryourhandicap.siterubix.com
Hi

I have tried the cobra single length, I was given them for a three round test and what I found was that the long Irons flew quite high which is OK in most circumstance but the wedges were going into orbit any breeze and I found them really difficult to control, the main difficulty for me was trying to force myself to use the same ball position for every Iron, im sure it was just a culture shock thing and I would get used to it in time.

Hope this helps

Carl

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi

I have tried the cobra single length, I was given them for a three round test and what I found was that the long Irons flew quite high which is OK in most circumstance but the wedges were going into orbit any breeze and I found them really difficult to control, the main difficulty for me was trying to force myself to use the same ball position for every Iron, im sure it was just a culture shock thing and I would get used to it in time.

Hope this helps

Carl

thanks Carl. so you'll stick to it? inspite of the difficulty with the wedges?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Read a lot of these types of threads over the last year or so and the general consensus appears to be mid to long irons acceptable and not much adjustment needed. Problems tend to be found with the short irons at one length. As a result a few people have kept 4-7/8 and continue to use graduated lengths in short irons.

For what it's worth I doubt I would have the same problem, although never tried. A few years back I lengthened all my wedges to my 9 iron length (which like all my irons where already 1 inch longer than standard). I could never go back and at times when I hold someone elses SW for example it feels like I have a child's club. I am 6 foot 4 tall and given my height this suits me. If I were a lot shorter than this I likely would nto have considered it

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For what it's worth I doubt I would have the same problem, although never tried. A few years back I lengthened all my wedges to my 9 iron length (which like all my irons where already 1 inch longer than standard). I could never go back and at times when I hold someone elses SW for example it feels like I have a child's club. I am 6 foot 4 tall and given my height this suits me. If I were a lot shorter than this I likely would nto have considered it

Really intrigued to read this, as I am over 6 '2" and despite my irons being lengthened my wedges are std length - lightbulb moment doh !! I seem to hit longer irons really well but struggle with wedges.
How has the change impacted on your game? Also not trying to be cheeky but what is your handicap and did it change after you made your wedges all the same as a nine iron?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really intrigued to read this, as I am over 6 '2" and despite my irons being lengthened my wedges are std length - lightbulb moment doh !! I seem to hit longer irons really well but struggle with wedges.
How has the change impacted on your game? Also not trying to be cheeky but what is your handicap and did it change after you made your wedges all the same as a nine iron?

Handicap did not change dramatically, but that's more down to lack of effort/taking the game serious/never practice/don't take lessons etc etc. Played of 20 few years ago - now 16. To improve further I would need to do something different. Never really analysed it too much but no doubt the lengthened PW, GW, SW and LW has helped to shave those few shots of.

I simply find it much easier to hit any type of shot with the lengthened wedges than I did before. I am so used to them now I can't really remember what it used to be like. I do remember feeling crouched over wedges. That's no longer the case. They feel normal to me. In short...yes I hit better wedge shots than I used to. I see no downside to it for a tall person - not even finesse shots or flop shots etc are an issue - just easier to use for me.

I bought shaft extensions and done it myself (I had been changing shafts and grips etc before that so it was a pretty easy job). If it didnt work I would have simply removed them returning the club back to standard.

smith931

Visit site
For last years I play with the same length irons. I did change the weights, the lies. It's not completely perfect, but it is much better to me than the variable series. Important thing with shafts of the same length is one tends to take your grip before taking the stance, because we have the confident in this distance from ball to feet, which is always the same. However, the soil is never flat and you can't see or feel the difference of 3 centimeters. With the same lengths irons, be sure to take the grip after taking his stance, which is always be the same.