Simple tricks of the trade

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was watching the Golf Monthly strategy videos on you tube last night which were really good but a couple of really simple things came out of it.

Firstly, a check of the weather forecast in the morning to know the direction of the wind and then just putting a line on the course map on the card to reflect that before going out as that will be clearer estimate than throwing grass up on a tree lined course where the wind will swirl (obviously different for links).

Secondly, think it was David Howell that was mentioned, who has his 50% wedge distances marked on his clubs so he doesn't forget. I'm an occasional golfer so I'm not going to do anything too elaborate but having a note of club distances seemed particularly crucial and I need to get this sorted.

That may be an exhaustive list, but just in case it's not, it got me wondering what little things people do in prep for a round to help particularly with course management but just their round in general (e.g. drinks on course).

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If possible, always warm up before the round.
That may be a few shots in a net, basket of balls on the range or even 9 holes on another course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally find chucking a leaf in the air is a good enough indicator, but you do need to look at what the flag is doing as well, just to make sure it's not wildly different up by the green which could catch you out.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As you play your round. Look around at the pin positions of holes later in the round which may be hidden from view when playing them.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I lose all ability to play golf when my blood sugar crashes, so I always have some muesli bars in my bag to nibble on. Apart from becoming a bit crumbly after a while, they store quite well and can stay in the bag forever without spoiling. They are really meant as a fallback, I normally take a banana and/or nuts or sometimes a sandwich for the round. And at least one bottle of water. In winter a small thermos with tea is also great.

I am also probably the only person at my golf club who actually does stretches as part of her warm-up. I don't care if I look like an idiot, it really helps me to hit better shots later. Its a really short routine, six different stretches, so basically maybe five minutes to do them and I normally do them before I start hitting full shots on the driving range.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I lose all ability to play golf when my blood sugar crashes, so I always have some muesli bars in my bag to nibble on. Apart from becoming a bit crumbly after a while, they store quite well and can stay in the bag forever without spoiling. They are really meant as a fallback, I normally take a banana and/or nuts or sometimes a sandwich for the round. And at least one bottle of water. In winter a small thermos with tea is also great.

I am also probably the only person at my golf club who actually does stretches as part of her warm-up. I don't care if I look like an idiot, it really helps me to hit better shots later. Its a really short routine, six different stretches, so basically maybe five minutes to do them and I normally do them before I start hitting full shots on the driving range.
I can't swing a club without stretching, I'm surprised if most people aren't in the same boat. I just do the simple ones like holding a club behind your back and turn round to the left and to the right, bend over and touch your toes and so on. But if I didn't I'd be stiff as a board and my first shot would be awful.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find it staggering that a pro needs to write down his distances. I'm pants and I know how far I hit mine, on a good day ;). Surely the figures should be ingrained in his head.

I agree with the stretching comments. I should do more of it but when I do it always helps.

I have a little laminated card with three key points on in case I go into a meltdown. It is back to basic stuff and it reminds me of the key 3 things to get my game back on track.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I find it staggering that a pro needs to write down his distances. I'm pants and I know how far I hit mine, on a good day ;). Surely the figures should be ingrained in his head.

Just say a pro has 4 wedges
He could have 3 lengths of swing....9,10,11 o'clock
Add to that holding the club at the top, middle and bottom of the grip
I make that 36 yardages.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always watch other peoples' chips and putts.

I play with a mate who always misses the same way as whoever played before him. I've mentioned it in passing, but he still does it and I'm not his mum...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Always watch other peoples' chips and putts.

I play with a mate who always misses the same way as whoever played before him. I've mentioned it in passing, but he still does it and I'm not his mum...

I played with a guy regularly who was a very tidy golfer. I think he was about 9 handicap and his short game was excellent. I remember watching him play a chip and the tempo he had was spot on. So any time I played with him and he was playing a chip before me, I would watch him and get a feel for his tempo. Amazing the number of good shots I would then play by simply watching him and playing after him.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just say a pro has 4 wedges
He could have 3 lengths of swing....9,10,11 o'clock
Add to that holding the club at the top, middle and bottom of the grip
I make that 36 yardages.

I get that Bob but it is his job and through a mixture of on course play and practice those numbers should be locked away purely from repetition alone. If he has a genuinely rotten memory then that would explain it but otherwise I still find it strange.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Make sure I arrive in plenty of time- I hate rushed golf
Ensure I have my asthma inhaler with me (mainly Psychosomatic)
Make sure I have at least one bottle of water

Wolf

Visit site
Warm up routine..

Stretch
Hit few shots on range or in net
Hit some long putts to get pace of greens, then a few little ones to get feeling of hitting the hole.
Then off to first tee with water, and some sort of protein bars in back along with a banana