Signing in on the computer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club has informed us that as from 1st April we must sign-in for competitions on the app or via a terminal in the clubhouse. Our first monthly medal is tomorrow but as Sign-on is not required it cannot be a more general rules of golf requirement but a club condition of competition. From 1st April we will also have to submit a signed card even if we enter our score via the app or terminal - I’ll have to check whether or not electronic score entry is also a condition of entry…I’m not sure.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This in itself could be deemed as registration and why no one is DQ’d. One payment you are registered in the competitions book at our club although we are trying to get members to also register on the PSI.

I suppose at some places it’s deemed as registration, but not ours. If you don’t sign in on the computer you can’t enter your score on the computer.

I also guess at some places you aren’t required to enter the score on a computer screen but we’ve been this way for a good few years. Everyone takes 2 minutes after their round or one person takes 2 hours checking cards when the comp is finished. No brainer imo especially since the 1 is a volunteer.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Under the new rules, do I have to sign in on the computer for a competition. I turned to play a Medal competition on time, collected my card from the starter but forgot to sign in on the computer. I was disqualified. I am a little absent minded and it seems unfair. If I have broken a rule then can you tell me which it is because I can't find it. Thanks Martin.
Not a rule of golf, your club will have rules of competition, follow them or be disqualified.

You'll always get folks saying "well that's just picky/pathetic/what does it matter" ~ well try being the handicap secretary fishing through various iterations of half arsed part filled in scorecards. It wont take you long before you want to bring out the big red sharpie. Folks have to look after just their own scorecard, that's too much for them, but a handicap sec who may have to look after 100+ cards should just get on with it? Aye right!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
My club has informed us that as from 1st April we must sign-in for competitions on the app or via a terminal in the clubhouse. Our first monthly medal is tomorrow but as Sign-on is not required it cannot be a more general rules of golf requirement but a club condition of competition. From 1st April we will also have to submit a signed card even if we enter our score via the app or terminal - I’ll have to check whether or not electronic score entry is also a condition of entry…I’m not sure.
Yup, we went to that around july last year when the Scottish Golf App was causing more problems than it solved, and now covid is "over" (LOL), expect to see most clubs going back to 'scorecards speak'

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to enter on PSI as part of the conditions of the comp. Also required to enter scores on it after and submit their signed card. We've had people forgetting and trying to log in after nine but it doesn't let them and won't let them enter their score at the end. I've forgotten before and also been DQ'd from a pairs event (which we were second in) as my partner didn't enter on PSI properly (so do it myself for pairs events now).

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Individual hole scores, recording handicap and signatures are the player's responsibility, addition and applying handicaps are the Committee's responsibility.
After a poor round, I handed in my scorecard, 18 hole scores, two signatures, without having done any addition. The "scorekeeper" accepting the card handed it back to me and said, "it's not added." My response was, "Not my job."

D

Deleted member 15344

Individual hole scores, recording handicap and signatures are the player's responsibility, addition and applying handicaps are the Committee's responsibility.
After a poor round, I handed in my scorecard, 18 hole scores, two signatures, without having done any addition. The "scorekeeper" accepting the card handed it back to me and said, "it's not added." My response was, "Not my job."

Each club has the odd people like you that don’t give a monkeys about the volunteers at the club

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose at some places it’s deemed as registration, but not ours. If you don’t sign in on the computer you can’t enter your score on the computer.

I also guess at some places you aren’t required to enter the score on a computer screen but we’ve been this way for a good few years. Everyone takes 2 minutes after their round or one person takes 2 hours checking cards when the comp is finished. No brainer imo especially since the 1 is a volunteer.
Always used the PSI for score entry, only just getting older members used to signing in.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always used the PSI for score entry, only just getting older members used to signing in.

The added bonus, is that for singles comps you can sign in on the internet (masterscoreboard). No queues behind the guy that thinks computers are alien technology, or I can save the walk to the clubhouse if I’m running late or lazy. I’ll even do it sat at home drinking coffee if I remember.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Each club has the odd people like you that don’t give a monkeys about the volunteers at the club
I am one of those volunteers, have been for years. The scorekeeper and I laughed about it afterwards.
But sometimes the committees need to be reminded of the separation of responsibilities between player and committee, and players have to be reminded of what is their responsibility. Some committees are becoming like nannies and some players are expecting that. The Rules are clear. Players can be dq'd, committees cannot. :)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am one of those volunteers, have been for years. The scorekeeper and I laughed about it afterwards.
But sometimes the committees need to be reminded of the separation of responsibilities between player and committee, and players have to be reminded of what is their responsibility. Some committees are becoming like nannies and some players are expecting that. The Rules are clear. Players can be dq'd, committees cannot. :)
Absolutely this!!
Whether it's replacing divots, repairing pitch marks, maintaining pace of play or turning up for their tee time.... players need to be reminded of their responsibilities & not be surprised if they are sanctioned for not complying......

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I have to say I generally nod along to every post you make, you're like a scouse me. But this even more than usual, it drives me bonkers when folks can't be bothered to fill in a scorecard fully and correctly, is it really that hard? Yet those same folks are usually the ones first to shout when they are pulled up for an infringement. I'd ban them from the club tbh :LOL:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say I generally nod along to every post you make, you're like a scouse me. But this even more than usual, it drives me bonkers when folks can't be bothered to fill in a scorecard fully and correctly, is it really that hard? Yet those same folks are usually the ones first to shout when they are pulled up for an infringement. I'd ban them from the club tbh :LOL:
As I had said in that post, I had filled in the scorecard fully and correctly according to the Rules of golf.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
As I had said in that post, I had filled in the scorecard fully and correctly according to the Rules of golf.
Indeed you did, and I'm sure you also knew full well what you scored as well, so why not total your score like any normal person would do instead of being an arse about it? You have to do it once, for yourself, the scorers would have to total every card up if everyone did as you do

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed you did, and I'm sure you also knew full well what you scored as well, so why not total your score like any normal person would do instead of being an arse about it? You have to do it once, for yourself, the scorers would have to total every card up if everyone did as you do
Why does anyone have to 'total' a scorecard? What does 'a volunteer' do with it? If the player has wrongly 'totalled' what happens?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does anyone have to 'total' a scorecard? What does 'a volunteer' do with it? If the player has wrongly 'totalled' what happens?
Obviously it depends on if it’s included in the terms and conditions of comp. I prefer people not to total anything as it’s surprising how many seem to get it wrong and then spend an extra 10 min stuck in front of the PSI.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously it depends on if it’s included in the terms and conditions of comp. I prefer people not to total anything as it’s surprising how many seem to get it wrong and then spend an extra 10 min stuck in front of the PSI.
It's even worse with stableford if player and marker try to reconcile points and strokes when in front of the PSI. :eek:

Swango1980

Visit site
I prefer it if players total up scores. 99% of mistakes made often come about because the player and marker come up with a different total score. Sure, sometimes it is simply because one of them added it up wrong, or gave wrong stableford points on a hole. But, sometimes, it is because the marker entered the wrong gross score, and so they rectify the problem.

In my own experience, with the hundreds of golfers I've played with over the years, I've not once seen anyone read out all 18 individual hole scores and both players check they match (that only happens if they get the wrong total to begin with). I know this is what SHOULD happen, but I've never seen it actually happen. So, if players were told not to total up scores, I strongly suspect many scores would be submitted over time in which there are errors in the gross score recorded by the Marker, as I don't think many weekend golfers would have the patience to recite all 18 scores every time.