Signing cards for PP's walking off

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes it's bad form & poor etiquette, but that aside...... as their marker do you always sign them off?
Yes, I can understand for a Cat 1 golfer in a 3 ball who has had disastrous first few holes so can only look forward to 0.1 back, which they'd rather not have, & have other things to do.
BUT, what about the higher-handicapper who's shown a suspicious tendency to look to gain 0.1 & perhaps not even attempted some holes before calling it a day?
I guess their card would often not be returned at all... so should they always get 0.1 back.
What does your Club do?... especially in the latter situation?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We had 2 blokes in the game behind us want to walk in on Saturday, so the 3rd came over and asked if we minded one of our game dropping back to continue to mark his car and finish the round as two 2 balls. I took over the other guys card and the chap leaving signed it as of the point he left.

No idea about the rule, but it isn't good practice...you can't hop it just cos you are have a bad round.

D

Deleted member 15344

If someone has entered a qualifying Comp then their HC must be online the line and if the score deems it then they must get the .1 - if players are looking to manufacture their HC then that can be dealt with in a different manner but if someone is having a complete mare and wants to get off the course the sign the card and .1

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Score comes up as an NR and they get a 0.1 at our place. Same as when someone is having a mare. Bins the card and just finishes the round for fun.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm really against people doing this, however I did it myself Sunday for only the 2nd time ever.

Was the 2nd and final day of the club championships, 1st day score was so bad was in the 2nd group out, really struggling with the J Arthurs, had played 10 shots on the 1st and not even reached the green. Really didn't want my troubles to detract from the other 2 guys games so asked if they minded me walking in. Only a 2 ball in front so wasn't leaving them in the middle of a bunch of 3 balls.

Hate myself for doing it, but thought it was probably being fair to them in the biggest comp of the year

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone has entered a qualifying Comp then their HC must be online the line and if the score deems it then they must get the .1 - if players are looking to manufacture their HC then that can be dealt with in a different manner but if someone is having a complete mare and wants to get off the course the sign the card and .1

Just how do you prove it?? If the PP's suspect something they may not wish to sign them off... or am I missing something?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah very much so, not sure what the impact on CSS calculation would be though for DQ over NR?

I thought CSS was calculated purely on the percentage of people who make buffer or better.

We had a load of NR's in our medal yesterday but plenty buffered and annoyingly the CSS went down.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah so does a DQ count towards that percentage?

It depends on what the what the player is DQ for.

Some DQ scores count for the individuals handicap cuts, and some don't. Afaik they all count for CSS calculation and handicap increases - if you think about it for a moment it has to be that way otherwise you can always avoid an increase by getting DQ!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It should depend on how many holes the player has actually completed before making a decision about accepting the card for handicap purposes and yes the card should be signed for the number of holes completed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It should depend on how many holes the player has actually completed before making a decision about accepting the card for handicap purposes and yes the card should be signed for the number of holes completed.

Absolutely if there's a valid reason - a decision is there to be made. But the system default is another matter.