Sight issues

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok, so I am considering the whole idea of solo winter golf. I popped to the range yesterday as I had an hour or so to spare.

I have found a fatal flaw in my plan. I can't always see the ball after impact. When I have been out playing I manage to watch around 30% of strikes with anything other than an iron. Though with others to watch/spot the ball it isn't an issue.

At the range yesterday it was still the same. I was able to track about 30% of non iron hits.

As my golf is still a little sporadic I can't guarantee the ball will land in the middle of fairway or always to the right etc etc.

Has anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Drew

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, so I am considering the whole idea of solo winter golf. I popped to the range yesterday as I had an hour or so to spare.

I have found a fatal flaw in my plan. I can't always see the ball after impact. When I have been out playing I manage to watch around 30% of strikes with anything other than an iron. Though with others to watch/spot the ball it isn't an issue.

At the range yesterday it was still the same. I was able to track about 30% of non iron hits.

As my golf is still a little sporadic I can't guarantee the ball will land in the middle of fairway or always to the right etc etc.

Has anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Drew

Afraid not. We have a few of our Seniors with macular degeneration. They would not be able to play solo for the same reasons as you mentioned.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have tried higher visibility balls but no joy. I didn't expect to have these issues at 32. I have a check up at opticians soon so will have a chat. Cheers guys

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I started struggling to see the ball down from tee shots last year. Went to the opticians and ended up with a pair of glasses for distance. Everything further away than about 10' seems so much clearer when wearing them, and can follow a ball all the way to landing.

The problem is that I don't particularly like wearing them so most of the time don't bother.
I'm ok against a nice sky, but overcast and cloudy I just make sure I have a good line on it if I hit a wide.

If it turns out you need glasses go for it. You might get on ok playing in them and at the worst they help a lot for driving a car!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I started struggling to see the ball down from tee shots last year. Went to the opticians and ended up with a pair of glasses for distance. Everything further away than about 10' seems so much clearer when wearing them, and can follow a ball all the way to landing.

The problem is that I don't particularly like wearing them so most of the time don't bother.
I'm ok against a nice sky, but overcast and cloudy I just make sure I have a good line on it if I hit a wide.

If it turns out you need glasses go for it. You might get on ok playing in them and at the worst they help a lot for driving a car!
I find that yellow golf balls show up better against a cloudy or grey sky. Although my eyesight is apparently still pretty good wearing glasses or contact lenses, I have noticed over the last year or so that I can no longer see golf balls beyond a range of about 150 yards.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I wear contacts all the time anyway. If I don't have them in, I cannot see anything! I can't see distance, I can't read up close. The world is an absolute blur. I make sure that I put in fresh contacts before I leave for a round to give me the best chance of having clearest possible vision.

I was checked about 5-6 months ago, so my prescription is up to date, but when I go in a week or so I will mention the issue.

Has anyone used blue balls before? Or red? Trying to combat the autumnal colours....

D

Deleted member 18121

Has anyone used blue balls before? Or red? Trying to combat the autumnal colours....

From my experience of those colours you may as well play with camouflage balls.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I couldn't find the first tee if I didn't have my contacts in.

Go to the opticians, not sports direct for orange balls. :rofl: