Shoulder problem

mrwoo

Club Champion
Visit site
When my backswing nears the top, I feel pain in my left shoulder similar to a muscle pull. I am right handed.
Now I think this is happening because I'm not rotating my shoulder enough, instead pulling it round with my arms.
Obviously I am looking to work on my swing and have a lesson next week, however can anyone recommend a support I can use? I usually use ralgex and the missus has suggested anti inflammatorys before playing.

Ta Woo

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest I would get it checked out rather that ask on here the golf swing should not be painful.

Although some might disagree. :(

mrwoo

Club Champion
Visit site
Just wondering if there is a product similar to a knee or ankle support? It's not a serious problem and I can play through it. If I want to see my GP outside of business hours I face at least a 2 week wait.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vulkan do a shoulder brace, I used one when I came back from a dislocated shoulder. This was for football though, they are pretty thick neoprene and was quite restrictive.

Can't really see anything being thin enough for golf and supportive enough for your injury.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had problems with my left shoulder from old injuries & found that the supports are useless if you're swinging anything (I think they're meant to keep the joint as stationary as possible).

You'd be better off stretching it before & after to loosen it off or going to see a physio.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pain is normally a sign from your body that something is wrong, I wouldn't just strap it up and ignore it.

Now as for why it is happening, I would look at your rotator cuffs and\or lats.

Put your arms out by your sides, palms down, and bend your elbows 90 degrees, so that your forearms are now sticking forward. Can you rotate your arms backwards, so that your arms look like American football posts?

If you can get your arms to 90 degrees plus without cheating, you're doing well.
When you do this, see if you can get someone to watch or use a mirror. Often people reach the limit of their shoulder and then their upper spine leans back to get the movement, so they are cheating.

If this is ok, you might want to see how much you can rotate your spine with your shoulder blades stabilised (I'll explain this if you're interested, and after you try the first test, as that's more likely).

This may be an issue as another common movement pattern, is for people to make up for spine rotation, with shoulder movement.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, the vulcan shoulder strap looks ideal.

I used the Vulcan shoulder strap a few years ago when returning to rugby after snapping the ligaments that hold the collar bone onto the top of the shoulder, it's really designed to restrict the movement of the arm up and out so would hamper your swing too much imo. :(

Get a physio to have look at it is the best advice you could get I reckon.