Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

D

Deleted member 16999

People are just people. All have faults and foibles. Their 'perceived' status should have no bearing on other's judgements of their personal life decisions. Whilst I may or may not approve of my next door neighbour's actions, they have no more or less influence on mine than your's, Nicola Sturgeons's or the Queen's.
Of course it does, we are discussing politicians and people in authority, not a next door neighbour, if someone is stood there telling you how to live your life and to behave then they should meet the same standards as a bare minimum.

I take it you’ll be happy if enough of “these” people get together introduce laws that you and me are expected to follow and not apply to them.

D

Deleted member 16999

I dont understand why you think I have any problems with condemning Jenrick, he means absolutely nothing to me, just like Kinnock and the two or three Labour MPs who's names I cannot be bothered to look up.

I dont feel like I have egg on my face, you have been pressing me on giving an opinion and I've given it. OK, it doesnt seem to suit what you want me to say but it's my opinion and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Matter closed.
Pressing you.:rolleyes: You really are a victim today. Best leave it as you’ll have enough egg to make an omelette.;)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Of course it does, we are discussing politicians and people in authority, not a next door neighbour, if someone is stood there telling you how to live your life and to behave then they should meet the same standards as a bare minimum.

take it you’ll be happy if enough of “these” people get together introduce laws that you and me are expected to follow and not apply to them.

It has been the case for centuries and generations of worldwide 'rulers'.

There is a virus in the population that is spread by touching or proximity to a carrier for about 10 minutes. Why does anyone need to be TOLD that is best for their health to stay apart from others, if at all possible. Surely If someone elso does something that raises the risk you do not have to do the same thing!

The fact that this is a pandemic and government's worldwide have given guidance to their citizens surely only reinforces what we all know. That advice does not change just because others humans missbehave or are forced by personal circumstances/context to be at variance : we are not leemings.

D

Deleted member 16999

It has been the case for centuries and generations of worldwide 'rulers'.

There is a virus in the population that is spread by touching or proximity to a carrier for about 10 minutes. Why does anyone need to be TOLD that is best for their health to stay apart from others, if at all possible. Surely If someone elso does something that raises the risk you do not have to do the same thing!

The fact that this is a pandemic and government's worldwide have given guidance to their citizens surely only reinforces what we all know. That advice does not change just because others humans missbehave or are forced by personal circumstances/context to be at variance : we are not leemings.
Just because it’s happened for Centuries doesn’t mean it should continue.

They haven’t given guidance they have created rules, laws and imposed fines.

It’s one rule for them and one for us!

And please try to remember I have no issue with cummings remaining in post after hearing his explanation, I’m not the one who called for 2 MP’s from one party to be sacked for breaking the rules and when it was pointed out 1 from the party he supports has done it, the story changed to him being sarcastic.

Somehow this issue over rules/laws/guidance has been deflected on to me? I have no issue with what the Government laid down and I’m still following the rules.

I remained consistent in saying ALL MP’s and people involved in the policies and decisions related to Covid should be sacked if they break the rules once the facts are known.

But then again it’s only me accussed of playing the poster.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But he didnt say he was just testing his eyesight. He said he wanted to check his fitness to drive. I think he said his wife had concerns for his eyesight, he wasnt stopped by the Police either.
I think if I had concerns for my wife’s eyesight and general fitness to drive I would not be going As a passenger on a 30 mile drive with her.
I have never heard anything so stupid from an obviously intelligent man.
Would like to hear what a traffic policeman thinks of that excuse.
Happy birthday by the way.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

And please try to remember I have no issue with cummings remaining in post after hearing his explanation, I’m not the one who called for 2 MP’s from one party to be sacked for breaking the rules and when it was pointed out 1 from the party he supports has done it, the story changed to him being sarcastic.

Somehow this issue over rules/laws/guidance has been deflected on to me? I have no issue with what the Government laid down and I’m still following the rules.

I remained consistent in saying ALL MP’s and people involved in the policies and decisions related to Covid should be sacked if they break the rules once the facts are known.

I repeat. I used the cases you mention to highlight how people were hounding Cummings but not these men, you raised the case of the Tory, I had not even read it at that point. If you want to keep rasing it then say it to me and not someone else.

Please stop this silly witch-hunt it's getting childish and fishing for an argument.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think if I had concerns for my wife’s eyesight and general fitness to drive I would not be going As a passenger on a 30 mile drive with her.
I have never heard anything so stupid from an obviously intelligent man.
Would like to hear what a traffic policeman thinks of that excuse.
Happy birthday by the way.
I am correcting what he said, not justifying it.

Thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People are just people. All have faults and foibles. Their 'perceived' status should have no bearing on other's judgements of their personal life decisions. Whilst I may or may not approve of my next door neighbour's actions, they have no more or less influence on mine than your's, Nicola Sturgeons's or the Queen's.
Imagine the committee Members preferring their lie.
Then telling the rest of the membership that it’s not allowed .
Then the committee members keep doing it anyway.
He is making up the rules for us but they don’t apply to him.

D

Deleted member 16999

I repeat. I used the cases you mention to highlight how people were hounding Cummings but not these men, you raised the case of the Tory, I had not even read it at that point. If you want to keep rasing it then say it to me and not someone else.

Please stop this silly witch-hunt it's getting childish and fishing for an argument.
Please see your post above were you said the matter is closed.

I took you at your word and didn’t name you.

Please clarify your wishes as I’m confused, you must remember that you don’t need to respond to every message, especially as I was responding directly to drdel.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Sorry, I did not mean to directly disagree and single you out. I think we have all started dancing on a pinhead where 'guidance' will always be open to interpretation and entirely dependent on context.
I was trying to make a more general point (perhaps poorly) and add a bit of context to this debate and your post.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry, I did not mean to directly disagree and single you out. I think we have all started dancing on a pinhead where 'guidance' will always be open to interpretation and entirely dependent on context.
I was trying to make a more general point (perhaps poorly) and add a bit of context to this debate and your post.
No worries, we all get wrapped up in threads when directly replying to each other and everyone else at the same time.(y)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Please see your post above were you said the matter is closed.

I took you at your word and didn’t name you.

Please clarify your wishes as I’m confused, you must remember that you don’t need to respond to every message, especially as I was responding directly to drdel.
Yes and sighting me in it. Just drop it man.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes and sighting me in it. Just drop it man.
Do not use public forums if you do not want words you use being used by others.
Either take it to a private forum or drop the victim act, I am not interested and will ignore all future posts by you.

If I then comment on a thread and you have been part of that debate, please be assurred the world is not revolving around you or hanging on every word.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do not use public forums if you do not want words you use being used by others.
Either take it to a private forum or drop the victim act, I am not interested and will ignore all future posts by you.

If I then comment on a thread and you have been part of that debate, please be assurred the world is not revolving around you or hanging on every word.
I'm putting you on my ignore list as it is evident you are pushing for a slanging match and hoping I will get a warning.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of Kuenssbergs points on news at 10 last night was that the whole situation created so much noise as to distract from more important matters.

Said without any hint of irony, as though this was something profound.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of Kuenssbergs points on news at 10 last night was that the whole situation created so much noise as to distract from more important matters.

Said without any hint of irony, as though this was something profound.
not sure what going on with her, whe the story broke she was staright into deflect mode and made plenty of excuses for DC, then appears to have got the bit between her teeth and going for the jugular from his Press conf omwards??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yet again it looks like the press are going for blood.
Scum.
I think that the press are asking the questions many of the public would like to ask but are clearly unable to - and when a question is not answered to their satisfaction then they ask it again. Just like the members of the Liaison Committee having to ask Johnson the same or very similar questions as he often avoids answering them - instead telling us how important it is to move on - which it is - but which we won't until the avoidance and diverting ends.

And so we finds that a majority of posters on the Mumsnet forum are not as impressed and accepting of the answers being given about the actions of Cummings as some here appear to be.