Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The lynch mob are mainly, if not not all hardened remaoners, isn't all this Brexit (there you go, that's torn it) driven, in that, get Cumming's out and delay/derail Brexit?

How's that for a bit of expansion Phil :eek:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Have you seen this mate, just a small discrepancy between what Mary wrote in the Spectator and cummings said in his statement:
View attachment 30923

At one point during his interviews in the Rose Garden he said that his wife didn't have it when they drove north. If she didn't have it, why go north at all?

The cynic in me actually half believes the point Hogie made weeks ago, i.e. that Cummings ran from Downing Street like a scared rabbit. And didn't stop running till he reached Durham.

I wonder if he ever had Covid at all?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If it's a fight he wants, come on Phil follow me, I'm right behind you

I’m not after a fight, just pointing out the sheer futility of it. And the longer it keeps being discussed, the longer other more important matters are not.

And (mod hat on now) Dave, can we cut out this Dib dib stuff, nobody knows what you are on about ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My initial thought on this was to tell you to get over yourself Robin. Brexit happened, we left the EU. You won.

But thinking more deeply I concede that there does seem to be a correlation between Brexit views and DC defence/condemnation. I wonder why that is? For my part it’s not some sort of bizarre retribution because I recognise the need for the country to pull together to respond to the pandemic. Instead I am motivated to criticise precisely because he has put himself outside of the common good and chosen to do precisely what the government he serves was telling up not to do.

So why do brexiters tend to support him and remainers broadly criticise him? I think it comes down to the personal fundamentals that divided us in the first place. Not “morality” as such, that’s the wrong word and a different thing but “outlook” or “attitude”.

For me arguments in favour of the EU were always the ideals of people coming together and cooperating for the benefit of us all. I know there were many frustrations with how they went about that and obviously don’t want to get back into a Brexit debate. But, for me, leaving the EU meant turning away from that cooperation and putting ourselves ahead of the “greater good” (for lack of a better term).

It seems there are parallels to our current situation. We all need to make personal sacrifices for the greater good. Perhaps the same outlook that informed our views on Brexit also affects our response to the pandemic. Could it be that brexiters are more forgiving of those who place their personal desires above their civic duty at this time?

Truth is I don’t know but it was interesting to think through. Thanks for raising it Robin. :)
Very well articulated, and something I hadn't thought about but can see as being a very valid point:)

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m not after a fight, just pointing out the sheer futility of it. And the longer it keeps being discussed, the longer other more important matters are not.
Who decides though Phil? As much as I support his decision to drive to Durham, there are a few inconsistiencies in his story, do these inconsistencies show a pattern? Is this pattern something we want at the highest levels of Government.

Let’s pretend for one minute his critics are right and in the future he or someone in a similar position decides to do something which is wrong, but takes the attitude of “who cares, it’ll all blow over in a couple of weeks”

Or, decides to “misbehave” during another crisis with the attitude of “we’ll get away with it as it’s less important”

There has to be accountability at all levels and a lot of this could of been avoided with better communication and dare I say, a bit more honesty.

The same media that are being derided as scum currently were being wined, dined and used just a few months ago.

As for discussing/debating on here being futile, that could apply to 95% of threads.

D

Deleted member 18588

Very well articulated, and something I hadn't thought about but can see as being a very valid point:)

Except it's inevitably a massive generalisation.

In post #409 I could be seen as defending, albeit with qualification, the actions of Cummings.

Yet in 2016 I not only voted Remain but also involved myself actively in the campaign (such as it was).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Except it's inevitably a massive generalisation.

In post #409 I could be seen as defending, albeit with qualification, the actions of Cummings.

Yet in 2016 I not only voted Remain but also involved myself actively in the campaign (such as it was).
Maybe Brexit is a bi-product of the divide, it seems more like people with a dislike or even hatred of Conservatism are driving one side of the debate.

D

Deleted member 1147

So, Looks like Dom won’t be going anywhere soon, but looks like Jenrick has been a naughty boy again...?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Who decides though Phil? As much as I support his decision to drive to Durham, there are a few inconsistiencies in his story, do these inconsistencies show a pattern? Is this pattern something we want at the highest levels of Government.

Let’s pretend for one minute his critics are right and in the future he or someone in a similar position decides to do something which is wrong, but takes the attitude of “who cares, it’ll all blow over in a couple of weeks”

Or, decides to “misbehave” during another crisis with the attitude of “we’ll get away with it as it’s less important”

There has to be accountability at all levels and a lot of this could of been avoided with better communication and dare I say, a bit more honesty.

The same media that are being derided as scum currently were being wined, dined and used just a few months ago.

As for discussing/debating on here being futile, that could apply to 95% of threads.

I don’t disagree with you, hopefully it will be a wake up call to anyone in such a position contemplating such a thing

It’s just becoming incredibly tedious and boring when there are much more important things to concentrate on.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sadly I fear it has more to do with the need of some people to pigeonhole both those they agree with and those with differing opinions.
But isn't exactly what those "hard liners" on each side of the referendum have done?
No longer are you Labour, Consrvative etc etc but now just "Brexiteer or Remainer"
You can't call a spade a spade and then complain when someone uses it to dig a hole.:)

D

Deleted member 18588

But isn't exactly what those "hard liners" on each side of the referendum have done?
No longer are you Labour, Consrvative etc etc but now just "Brexiteer or Remainer"
You can't call a spade a spade and then complain when someone uses it to dig a hole.:)

Don't ask me.

I believe people can hold apparently contradictory opinions on a range of issues.