Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I believe that while the guidelines said stay at home, the relevant Act provides circumstances where you can leave home, two of which appear to apply to Cummings' circumstances as I understand them.
What Cummings did is now water under the bridge - though the issues associated with it may not be. But on what Cummings did - as I understand it the clarification guidance provided by Jenny Harries that Cummings and many excusing him point to is:

"Clearly if you have adults who are unable to look after a small child, that is an exceptional circumstance"

I highlight one important word - unable

At the time Cummings made the decision he made, neither Cummings nor his wife - never mind both of them as a couple - were that ill that they were unable to care for their child. Indeed at the time they were both perfectly capable of looking after their child at home.

But from what I heard from Cummings in the Rose Garden, he decided that at some point his wife might become so ill that she wouldn't be able to look after their child - it would then be down to him. He reckoned that he was so important to Johnson and the government that they could not do without him and that working from home whilst looking after their child just wouldn't work - he had to be there. And so to mitigate the risk of that he made the decision he made. He blatantly and clearly broke the absolute lockdown rules that we were mostly all trying our utmost to adhere to. Because he thought himself very important.

As an aside - tell me that nobody at the most senior level of government knew of this decision and OK'd it and I frankly won't believe you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What that he was infected and thought let’s drive 260 miles ?
He only had a reason if you belive his pathetic excuse.
The rule was “stay at home” The one he had a hand in drafting.
I didn't state it was anywhere near a 'good' (or believable) one! :(

D

Deleted member 18588

What Cummings did is now water under the bridge - though the issues associated with it may not be. But on what Cummings did - as I understand it the clarification guidance provided by Jenny Harries that Cummings and many excusing him point to is:

"Clearly if you have adults who are unable to look after a small child, that is an exceptional circumstance"

I highlight one important word - unable

At the time Cummings made the decision he made, neither Cummings nor his wife - never mind both of them as a couple - were that ill that they were unable to care for their child. Indeed at the time they were both perfectly capable of looking after their child at home.

But from what I heard from Cummings in the Rose Garden, he decided that at some point his wife might become so ill that she wouldn't be able to look after their child - it would then be down to him. He reckoned that he was so important to Johnson and the government that they could not do without him and that working from home whilst looking after their child just wouldn't work - he had to be there. And so to mitigate the risk of that he made the decision he made. He blatantly and clearly broke the absolute lockdown rules that we were mostly all trying our utmost to adhere to. Because he thought himself very important.

As an aside - tell me that nobody at the most senior level of government knew of this decision and OK'd it and I frankly won't believe you.
So if, to quote you, he felt himself so important to the operation of government why did he remain in Durham for two weeks?

Was it not that he was concerned that if his wife was developing symptoms he would also end up sufficiently ill to be unable to care for their child.

D

Deleted member 16999

So if, to quote you, he felt himself so important to the operation of government why did he remain in Durham for two weeks?

Was it not that he was concerned that if his wife was developing symptoms he would also end up sufficiently ill to be unable to care for their child.
Exactly, he believed his wife was infected, believed he would become infected as well, panic’d, legged it to Durham to be close to family who could look after his kid if they both were too sick to do it themselves.

Made the decision as a father/husband.

D

Deleted member 18588

Exactly, he believed his wife was infected, believed he would become infected as well, panic’d, legged it to Durham to be close to family who could look after his kid if they both were too sick to do it themselves.

Made the decision as a father/husband.

Yes, probably the wrong decision and certainly not helped by the Barnard Castle eye-test fiasco but the initial call was one that many might have made as a father.

I can only imagine that he wasn't thinking straight as he must surely have realised that someone would pick up on it.

But when trying to do the best thing for our children we are all sometimes guilty of acting irrationally.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Guys , round and round in circles we are going

Its clear that he isnt going to budge, or be pushed and no amount of gnashing of teeth on here is going to change that.

It has become a bigger story than the pandemic itself and that is wrong, it has diverted the attention away from the important questions, information and advice and that is wrong

So by continuing to discuss it, we are simply prolonging it, yet not coming up with anything new, so whats the point?

D

Deleted member 16999

Its clear that he isnt going to budge, or be pushed and no amount of gnashing of teeth on here is going to change that.

It has become a bigger story than the pandemic itself and that is wrong, it has diverted the attention away from the important questions, information and advice and that is wrong

So by continuing to discuss it, we are simply prolonging it, yet not coming up with anything new, so whats the point?
What’s being discussed is relevant to the thread title isn’t it?

Surely the whole point of this seperate thread was to avoid other threads being took of track?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

None whatsoever.

Which is exactly my point

D

Deleted member 16999

None whatsoever.

Which is exactly my point
So when a fellow forum member asks a question to another we should just ignore them?

Personally I believe that would rude and not the behaviour expected.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’ve lost meo_O

Unless of course you’re saying it’s another Dominic Cummings who owns a property on his dad’s farm.
His address is shown as the same as the house. Who is/are the others and what address(es) do they have on the registration form.
Perhaps he lived there when the original registration was made and hasn't lived there since.
There is more unknown than known.

D

Deleted member 16999

His address is shown as the same as the house. Who is/are the others and what address(es) do they have on the registration form.
Perhaps he lived there when the original registration was made and hasn't lived there since.
There is more unknown than known.
The address is as shown for the property were he stayed in April:
North Lodge, Darlington Road, Durham, DH1 3SU
It is owned by him, his brother and his dad. ie a third each.
The information is current as at 28 May 2020 at 12:43:03, ie Yesterday.
All the above information was on the picture I posted.

It is what you receive from the Land Registry when you submit a property request.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is this Forum Phil or Mod Phil?

D

Deleted member 16999

These 2 have 'blagged' their way through life & will continue to do so as long as folk tire of the fight & give-in to them. It's a thankless task & that's what they rely on.
Have you seen this mate, just a small discrepancy between what Mary wrote in the Spectator and cummings said in his statement:
565A5792-8C20-41D5-B727-CF63974E4AF3.jpeg