Should the number of foreign players be limited in the Premier League

V

vkurup

The transfer window is always an interesting one. The arms race of footballer pay is maddening. We were having a watercooler discussion around how other countries do it. The Indian lucrative cricket IPL T20 restricts how many foreign players you can have in your playing XI. Equally, i believe the chinese soccer league also has restriction. Besides containing some of the runaway salaries, the more important motive is to develop local talent who would not have had a chance to play with the leading players in the world. Such a system would wonders to identify and train players in the home countries and we might actually get a shot at the World Cup some day... Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 15344

No - and if they did it wouldnt improve the England team if they did , nor would it improve the quality of players coming through but it would kill the Premier League and would force all the best players abroad.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
No - and if they did it wouldnt improve the England team if they did , nor would it improve the quality of players coming through but it would kill the Premier League and would force all the best players abroad.

Agreed,& unless Spain/Italy/Germany also did it,it would make competing in the CL impossible.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Short answer is no. If English players cant learn from playing with some of the best in the game, they will learn less from playing with each other.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Only if it was introduced UEFA wide and every club in every league had to field X home grown players. Can't see it happening as I'm sure restriction of trade rules and EU lawyers will have a field day. I'd rather every club had caps like NFL, NBA, MLS sides

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only if it was introduced UEFA wide and every club in every league had to field X home grown players. Can't see it happening as I'm sure restriction of trade rules and EU lawyers will have a field day. I'd rather every club had caps like NFL, NBA, MLS sides

Have to agree with this, I'd love it if more home grown players were in Prem teams but it has to be European wide and that ain't going to happen.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, but it would only work with a Europe wide agreement with all of the leagues. That won't happen but if we went for a theoretical approach I would restrict teams to 4 foreign players on the pitch at any one time.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I stopped being a real football fan and stopped going to matches at Leeds when all the foreign players started coming in. I felt a real affinity for the team when they brought their young players through from the juniors.. there is a real skill in spotting talent and nurturing it, the league was basically made up of Scots, Welsh, Irish and English players who felt loyalty to their club and its fans.. Once the money took over your hero of one year was the villain playing against you next year it just dosent feel right somehow.. OK the sport may be better more spectacular and entertaining but then so is American Wrestling...

G

guest100718

There are limits an d restrictions, but not of EU players obviously, which skews it

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As a saints fan I'd love it to be implemented. We'd only need to refuse to sell for a few years and we'd have a heck of a squad!

realistically it'll never happen, not sure UEFA really have any control over the movement of Europeans in and out of our leagues.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been running a rule of max 9 foreign players on my FM17 edit. That seems to be the sweet spot.

You must start two local and then fill a bench with them.

G

guest100718

I've been running a rule of max 9 foreign players on my FM17 edit. That seems to be the sweet spot.

You must start two local and then fill a bench with them.

you know thats not real, dont you?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In my opinion Yes! Premier League football teams should be limited to no more that 5 foreign players on the pitch at any time. That way more British players would have a chance of being involved in top level football, to the benefit of our National teams.

D

Deleted member 15344

In my opinion Yes! Premier League football teams should be limited to 5 foreign players on the pitch at any time. That way more British players would have a chance of being involved in top level football, to the benefit of our National teams.

So why when there were no foreign players in the Top league through the 70's 80's 90's did the national teams not win anything of note ?

Having the top foreign players in the league should help the youngsters - they have the best players to learn from , the best coaches to learn from.

It's always the easy excuse that foreign players are to blame for poor England teams when the issue is far deeping that and it can followed all the way back to the FA

If you remove the foreign players or limit them then all the top players will move to leagues without restrictions and then the money follows then the league just falls down