Should the number of foreign players be limited in the Premier League

D

Deleted member 15344

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious surely the number of foreign players playing in England will fall quite dramatically by means of Brexit.

Why ?

All these need to do is get a work visa which won't be such a hard thing to don

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious surely the number of foreign players playing in England will fall quite dramatically by means of Brexit.

*rubs chin thoughtfully and muses how all the Brazilian, Uruguayan, etc manage to play here? I wonder if there's some sort of work visa that permits this solution?*

D

Deleted member 15344

There is......but they have to be international standard so all the young EU kids the EPL 'buy up' will not qualify.

Most of the players the EPL teams buy are at international standard for their age - anymore straws you want to clutch ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most of the players the EPL teams buy are at international standard for their age - anymore straws you want to clutch ?

They also 'buy' loads of Europe's best young 12-18 year olds for their academies. These kids are not full internationals and will not be allowed free movement.
Hopefully those places will now be taken by young English boys and girls and ultimately improve England's chance of winning a major trophy.

D

Deleted member 15344

They also 'buy' loads of Europe's best young 12-18 year olds for their academies. These kids are not full internationals and will not be allowed free movement.
Hopefully those places will now be taken by young English boys and girls and ultimately improve England's chance of winning a major trophy.

They don't buy loads between the age of 12-16. Far from it - a lot of people in club academies between those ages will be local kids plus the odd one who has moved from somewhere in the country.
After the age of 16 clubs can then buy players and even then the "loads" you suggest isn't really factually try - for example Liverpool in the U18 have 2 - one who is from Canada and one from Poland then in the U23 there is 3 - Spain , Portugal. And those players that arrive after the ages of 16 will be youth internationals so will qualify for work permits.

So basically your statements a bit wide of the mark

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They don't buy loads between the age of 12-16. Far from it - a lot of people in club academies between those ages will be local kids plus the odd one who has moved from somewhere in the country.
After the age of 16 clubs can then buy players and even then the "loads" you suggest isn't really factually try - for example Liverpool in the U18 have 2 - one who is from Canada and one from Poland then in the U23 there is 3 - Spain , Portugal. And those players that arrive after the ages of 16 will be youth internationals so will qualify for work permits.

So basically your statements a bit wide of the mark

So if all the EPL teams are the same as Liverpool that's 60 European kids.....quite a lot really.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont see what the problem is. If the English/British players were good enough the clubs wouldnt buy the foriegn talent. Sadly though I think the English/British player is happy to take the wages and sit on the bench

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We used to have the three foreigner rule. Or as we knew it in Scotland, the eight diddies rule.

Never really helped much back then so not sure it would help anyone now. Mostly the same coutries still compete for the major honours.

Maybe not, CL wise, but you were a much stronger footballing nation back then. Now? Not so much. (and that's being polite). England's fall out of the top ten will not be long now. The coaching is shocking. I know, I've watched my 14yo grandsons training for 5 years now. It's a joke. It's still done by helpful dads. They usually need level 1 at a cost of £160. After that the cost goes too high. There is no funding from the FA AT ALL. It's a disgrace.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Lets hope. But I fear you will be wrong. The PL will kick off and demand immunity from any laws that stop them importing anyone who can kick a ball. The government will okay it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont see what the problem is. If the English/British players were good enough the clubs wouldnt buy the foriegn talent. Sadly though I think the English/British player is happy to take the wages and sit on the bench

Wrong. The English players are not getting the basics taught at "grassroots" that the FA keep going on about yet ignoring.

D

Deleted member 18588

Wrong. The English players are not getting the basics taught at "grassroots" that the FA keep going on about yet ignoring.

All clubs in the PL & Championship, and plenty lower down, operate academies that provide plenty of quality coaching of the "basics" to thousands of boys from age 8 upwards so I don't think it is a question of technical skills being lacking.

Much more to do with attitude.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All clubs in the PL & Championship, and plenty lower down, operate academies that provide plenty of quality coaching of the "basics" to thousands of boys from age 8 upwards so I don't think it is a question of technical skills being lacking.

Exactly, there is a long list of so called "next best thing English talent" that has disappeared into obscurity after joining the "big club", to then take the wages having "made it" then after a couple of season transfer down the league. That lad Sinclair who went to City being a prime example.

V

vkurup

Lets hope. But I fear you will be wrong. The PL will kick off and demand immunity from any laws that stop them importing anyone who can kick a ball. The government will okay it.

So no difference between PL and say the fisheries or banking industry.. suddenly Brexit seems more by exception than rule.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Grassroots is the term. PL academies are not grassroots. There is just no investment in it at all.

D

Deleted member 18588

Grassroots is the term. PL academies are not grassroots. There is just no investment in it at all.

Actually there are far more qualified coaches operating at grassroots level than ever before.

In any event your comment about grassroots football was out of context as the previous comments had referred to players already with professional clubs. Any boy not already with an academy by the age of 13, perhaps 14, is extremely unlikely to ever be involved with the pro' game.

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of clubs have a lot of homegrown youngsters in their academy teams - maybe have a look at them. As I said to Doon - currently their is 5 "foreign" youngsters out of 60 plus in the Liverpool academy. All the Prem clubs are putting a lot of work into their academy and developing young English/Scottish/Welsh/ Irish kids.

To say the academies are not grass roots is blatantly false.

My two nephews go to a junior Southampton Academy - under 10 and under 13 , they are in Bristol. Clubs are creating remote Academy's and the clubs themselves are paying for local coaches to get qualifying badges for coaching.

The difference is over in Spain for example the FA pay for the coaching courses - they have over 20,000 coaches - the U.K. Have just under 4 thousand - certainly an improvement in recent years.

Far too many people look at PremClubs first teams and believe it's a picture of all the teams within the club when thats not the case. And Brexit will not change a thing - players from around the world arrived in the Prem before the EU rules and will continue to do so.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually there are far more qualified coaches operating at grassroots level than ever before.

In any event your comment about grassroots football was out of context as the previous comments had referred to players already with professional clubs. Any boy not already with an academy by the age of 13, perhaps 14, is extremely unlikely to ever be involved with the pro' game.

Sure, but nowhere near as many as in Spain / France / Germany

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of clubs have a lot of homegrown youngsters in their academy teams - maybe have a look at them. As I said to Doon - currently their is 5 "foreign" youngsters out of 60 plus in the Liverpool academy. All the Prem clubs are putting a lot of work into their academy and developing young English/Scottish/Welsh/ Irish kids.

To say the academies are not grass roots is blatantly false.

My two nephews go to a junior Southampton Academy - under 10 and under 13 , they are in Bristol. Clubs are creating remote Academy's and the clubs themselves are paying for local coaches to get qualifying badges for coaching.

The difference is over in Spain for example the FA pay for the coaching courses - they have over 20,000 coaches - the U.K. Have just under 4 thousand - certainly an improvement in recent years.

Far too many people look at PremClubs first teams and believe it's a picture of all the teams within the club when thats not the case. And Brexit will not change a thing - players from around the world arrived in the Prem before the EU rules and will continue to do so.

good post. Highlighting the problems. You see these thing as positives, I see them as negatives.
1. Not everyone child gets to play in academies.
2. Spanish FA paying for the grassroots coaches to get the qualifications English FA paying for t-bone steaks and champagne, and back slapping themselves.