Should the front foot stay down during the back swing ?

AdamW

Visit site
Have noticed my front foot coming up at the heel when when I get very near the top point of my swing , do I need keep my foot planted ? If so the only way I can keep it down is by not taking the club back as far , is this an okay fix ?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are some pros who say the front foot should lift to enable you as you say to turn better and that the start of the down swing should start with the left foot (for right handed golfers) being planted down. In this instance I don't think this is right or wrong if it works for you fine carry on.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
There are some pros who say the front foot should lift to enable you as you say to turn better and that the start of the down swing should start with the left foot (for right handed golfers) being planted down. In this instance I don't think this is right or wrong if it works for you fine carry on.
Totally agree. I have started lifting heel to save my back, and only keep it down for wedges.

Also gives you a good thought at the top of the backswing. Plant heel back down , and everything else should follow. I have been known to forget that, and it leads to a massive early extension.:eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding is that players used to lift their heel when on the backswing, but when it became fashionable to restrict hip turn to try and maximise torque in the hip/chest area then the lead foot needed to be planted. More now its thought that this separation of upper and lower body has lead to a fair amount of lower back injuries so pros are now encouraging more foot lift and to turn the whole torso more ie back to the old days

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use this as one of my warm up practice drills.

Completely lifting my front foot on the back swing and my trailing foot on the forward swing.

Good method of 'muscle memory' for weight transfer.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m not that flexible so it’s a must for me. Has made a big difference to my game since I started doing it at the beginning of the summer. If I keep my left foot planted I start to sway....A LOT!