Should pitching / sand and 60 degree golf swings be a lot shorter than iron swings ?

AdamW

Visit site
Should you not take the club as far back on wedges such as the s , pw , 60 degree compared to 7,8,9 irons ? If so how far back should you take it ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on how far you want to hit it..
Most people seem to use their wedges for shorter, finesse shots so they'll rarely go past a vertical shaft
Obviously, the further back you take the club the more speed you can generate and the further it will go
Not a lot of love for full shots with wedges but I do it all the time.

AdamW

Visit site
Depends on how far you want to hit it..
Most people seem to use their wedges for shorter, finesse shots so they'll rarely go past a vertical shaft
Obviously, the further back you take the club the more speed you can generate and the further it will go
Not a lot of love for full shots with wedges but I do it all the time.

Was wondering if I took it too far back it would start causing issues such as direction , fatting and thinning it etc .

Sounds as though it doesn’t matter so will just find a comfortable place to take it to and groove that in

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am some one who very rarely hits a 52 or loftier club full out but there again I only hit a 52 100 yards full out.

If you are going to hit a wedge full out about the only thing that might change is ball position (middle of the stance for me).

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I sort of feel that if I am trying to get a wedge "there", it's probably the wrong club. During the winter having to carry a lot, I only take a 3/4 set out with me. That means using a 9 iron where a flat out wedge would be the perfect club, this is great practice for honing that skill.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
i hit full shots with a 52 and 58, i don't like hitting half shots with less club unless i'm running it in low into the wind

Me too. It is no doubt a fault, but I find that my best strikes are with a full swing. Half or three quarter swings are likely to be swings that go wrong.
I need to work on that. From comments on tv I think that most players prefer full swings??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm a Dave Pelz 'fan'.

His Short Game Bible describes a clockface technique that gives consistent distances - which is the key to the 'finesse' play with wedges.

None of those swings is 'full',

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm a Dave Pelz 'fan'.

His Short Game Bible describes a clockface technique that gives consistent distances - which is the key to the 'finesse' play with wedges.

None of those swings is 'full',

I tried the Pelz method but found trying to hit exact 7 o'clock, 9 o'clock etc difficult and restrictive and I lost an amount of feel in the shots. I work hard on feeling a 30 or 40 yard shot (not always successfully) but I totally agree with you that none of the shots would ever be played fully

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I tried the Pelz method but found trying to hit exact 7 o'clock, 9 o'clock etc difficult and restrictive and I lost an amount of feel in the shots. I work hard on feeling a 30 or 40 yard shot (not always successfully) but I totally agree with you that none of the shots would ever be played fully
Indeed, I gave up on/opted out of the 7:30 swing. Could never get it smooth enough! Fine with 9:00 and 10:30 and 12:00 (my personal 'replacement'). So 'personalised' the method - and that works (worked) fine. The real 'key' that the system gives is confidence that a proper strike WILL go the desired distance. It's doubt over that that causes fluffs imo!

There are other methods of achieving similar consistancy that are equally effective. The key is finding something that you are comfortable with - and practicing it!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should you not take the club as far back on wedges such as the s , pw , 60 degree compared to 7,8,9 irons ? If so how far back should you take it ?

My teaching pro always teaches me the following

When chipping 9-lw always take a club more and nothing more than a 3/4 swing

More control

Only hit a full shot if you have no other option

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I find that, generally, people dont practice the full wedge, gap, sand or lob wedge shots
And then when they need a 50 yard shot that goes 30+ yards high they end up thinning it or chunking it
It can be a card saver but you have to at least have had a go at it....
Just imagine e you're hitting g the 8 iron except you've got a few more degrees to play with...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've honestly never had any problems hitting full shots with any of my wedges. Pretty much know how far a full shot with all of them will go.

If anything i find hitting a lofted wedge easier than any other iron.

What you have to learn though is how to keep the the flight down on them a bit. De loft them a bit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Indeed, I gave up on/opted out of the 7:30 swing. Could never get it smooth enough! Fine with 9:00 and 10:30 and 12:00 (my personal 'replacement'). So 'personalised' the method - and that works (worked) fine. The real 'key' that the system gives is confidence that a proper strike WILL go the desired distance. It's doubt over that that causes fluffs imo!

There are other methods of achieving similar consistancy that are equally effective. The key is finding something that you are comfortable with - and practicing it!
Totally which is why I found the linear method such an effective crutch to my short game woes. I am fighting hard to revert to a more orthodox method and it is coming but there is a nagging doubt that for pitching in particular, linear works better with a greater margin of error. either way whatever you choose I agree that committing to the sure is paramount

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

I went the other way. Whikst I couldn’t manage a 730 to start with, it eventually became my go to wedge shot, as it seems to take all the “hit” out, and I got consistent distances more often (at least with the flight distance; roll out was a bit more variable! )

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

Above 45degrees, more of your effort is going into height rather than distance.
Although higher does tend to give you more “stop” when it does come down.
Wedges tends to be about accuracy, so you tend to get mor evangelical for your buck by hitting them with a consistent relaxed backswing.

The pros however seem to hit them bloody hard !