should I be using these clubs?

Johnny H

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all.

I've been hitting golf balls for a bit now but never really played properly on a golf course.

My brother who is a 4 HC brought some new clubs for him self (taylormade rocketbladez tour) to replace his Titleist blades but can't get on with the taylormades.

He was playing off 7 when he brought the rocketbladez, hit them a few times and put them away again, picked up his Titleist again and dropped his HC. Said he only brought them because they were cheap and thought they might help.

Anyway lol, he said I can have them 😀, I've used them off the driving range and I like using them, hitting better than my old clubs (longridge which I brought a hole bag for £20).

So what I'm asking is are the taylormade rocketbladez tour's good for someone with a high HC? (will be after joining next month)

Thanks for your time.
John

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum John

I'd go for them. I believe that almost any clubs will do at the start. its more important to get the basics right of the swing,ie posture, grip, rhythm etc right before you'd need to worry about the best set up of clubs for you and, anyway, unless these are a bizzare set up, extra strong shafts or the like, they are a good make and type and will almost certainly start you off well

I'd certainly have a lesson or two to learn and ingrain the basics though, that would be money well spent

Good luck!

Johnny H

Medal Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum John

I'd go for them. I believe that almost any clubs will do at the start. its more important to get the basics right of the swing,ie posture, grip, rhythm etc right before you'd need to worry about the best set up of clubs for you and, anyway, unless these are a bizzare set up, extra strong shafts or the like, they are a good make and type and will almost certainly start you off well

I'd certainly have a lesson or two to learn and ingrain the basics though, that would be money well spent

Good luck!

Thanks you for your reply 👍.

I've got a lesson booked on Wednesday then I've got a deal which includes 5 more lessons and 3 months membership ,then I'll be joining as a fall member .

G

guest100718

The clubs are fine, as long as the shafts are suited to your swing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use those irons currently

my comment would be that whilst they won't help as much as many 'game improvement' sets there is nothing inherently wrong in using them.

it may help to highlight the potential differences -

the heads are compact, but what's there is quite forgiving.
the sole plate is quite narrow - if you get it right this doesn't matter!
there have little offset - offset can help a beginner (and others!) in their swing dynamics. If you haven't had it you won't miss it :)

play with them for your first year or so and then take professional advice as to whether to consider alternatives.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I pretty much agree with Duncan. Not the most forgiving irons, but reasonably so and it can be beneficial to learn to strike the ball well right from the start - especially if you are reasonably good at Cricket, Tennis and/or Hockey.

As long as they are pretty much the correct length - and it's surprising how many shapes 'standard' fits - they should be fine for a while, as you will adjust. It could be worth getting the lie checked/adjusted, as if that's out - for you - any adjustment you/your body makes to compensate (like leaning over a bit to compensate for a too upright one) will be more difficult to correct later. This assumes you are a reasonably 'standard' body shape - not significantly taller, shorter, long-legged or long backed - than most.