Should he have done better?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Anyone seen the Rick Shields video playing at Rockliffe Hall? It's pretty long at 7800+ yards from the tips, which is where he played from, and it beat him up.

I saw both episodes over a couple of days, the distance didn't seem to be the issue for him, yes there were a few long shots into the greens, but the thing that stood out for me was his poor short game and putting, something I've noticed in other vids. I know we all have bad days, and I'm no ace golfer, but as a golf professional, I thought he'd be better in that area.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Anyone seen the Rick Shields video playing at Rockliffe Hall? It's pretty long at 7800+ yards from the tips, which is where he played from, and it beat him up.

I saw both episodes over a couple of days, the distance didn't seem to be the issue for him, yes there were a few long shots into the greens, but the thing that stood out for me was his poor short game and putting, something I've noticed in other vids. I know we all have bad days, and I'm no ace golfer, but as a golf professional, I thought he'd be better in that area.

Its always been his weak area.

Ive watched his videos going back for years and his short game is what makes or breaks his scores. A good long ball player and usually a tidy putter - but the man is no good around the greens (for a pro)

Interestingly he calculated his HI after he did the break75 series and hes a plus 1 handicapper despite sometimes having really bad days (JCB springs to mind too) - so grand scheme of things hes not that bad at all :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played Rockcliffe off the whites. Long is about right. Long walks between the holes, long holes themselves. Long is the abiding memory.

Very nicely kept though, classy, new clubhouse. Oh, and if you go midweek then you get to watch the Boro train :D

I'll have to watch the video now (y)

D

Deleted member 1147

Its always been his weak area.

Ive watched his videos going back for years and his short game is what makes or breaks his scores. A good long ball player and usually a tidy putter - but the man is no good around the greens (for a pro)

Interestingly he calculated his HI after he did the break75 series and hes a plus 1 handicapper despite sometimes having really bad days (JCB springs to mind too) - so grand scheme of things hes not that bad at all :ROFLMAO:

+1 is a more than decent handicap, but it's nowhere near what tour players (including minor tours) would be.
A couple of lads from Derbyshire I know play on the Challenge Tour. Both were +4 on the old system when they turned pro.
I'd hate to imagine what they'd be on the WHS, +6'ish probably.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe he's learned from Bad Golf the way to attract more casual golf viewers is to relate to them on their level...

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
+1 is a more than decent handicap, but it's nowhere near what tour players (including minor tours) would be.
A couple of lads from Derbyshire I know play on the Challenge Tour. Both were +4 on the old system when they turned pro.
I'd hate to imagine what they'd be on the WHS, +6'ish probably.

Oh probably more than we can dream of! I think most established tour guys would be +10 and above :ROFLMAO:

My old club pro was a +4 index and he wasnt making enough to only play golf on Europro :LOL:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Oh probably more than we can dream of! I think most established tour guys would be +10 and above :ROFLMAO:

My old club pro was a +4 index and he wasnt making enough to only play golf on Europro :LOL:

I'm sure somebody worked out Jon Rahm's index around the time he won the US Open and it was about +10.

Edit:

It was taken from his previous 20 rounds (5 events).

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has anyone watched Random Golf Film (think that's the name) on youtube currently tracking four players playing Erin hills of the tips. Couple must be good players given handicaps but scores are already going up over the first 9 and they're just trying to break 80. Definitely a different game when you play those courses of championship tees.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Isn't he a teaching pro though, not a touring pro.

Some don't play too often, I caddied in a group Skinner from RD played in the Tomatin Pro Am. Tbh I'd be surprised if he could play off single figures.. I played in a match a few years ago with our old pro Robin and he played against the teaching pro from Nairn Dunbar who was one of the old SGU top teaching pros and coached Russell Knox. Robin had a good am career and played in the Open a few times. He wiped the floor against his oppo, and Robin didn't play very often

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Has anyone watched Random Golf Film (think that's the name) on youtube currently tracking four players playing Erin hills of the tips. Couple must be good players given handicaps but scores are already going up over the first 9 and they're just trying to break 80. Definitely a different game when you play those courses of championship tees.

Its Random Golf Club I believe.

I've watched the first two episodes so far and it looks absolutely brutal, but an enjoyable watch.

I do wish there was a greater spread of ability tbh, three of them are very low cappers (3 to +1) and the other is a 14 capper who claims to be very out of practice. Feel as though they should have got a couple around 10 and 20 for a good spread.

But to be honest, with the forced carries and long approaches I'm not sure how an average 20 capper would even tackle it.

Its something I'd love to try but by the time you've paid all that money to play a course like that, you'd want to enjoy it!

4LEX

Visit site
Has Rick ever played Mark Crossfield head to head. To win YouTube.

I think theres some bad blood between them. Would love to see it though.

Rumours of a Rick v GM Golf in Vegas coming up which will be much better and I suspect Rick will get his backside handed to him.

4LEX

Visit site
Maybe he's learned from Bad Golf the way to attract more casual golf viewers is to relate to them on their level...

This was set up for him to have a bad day, a negative theme from the off. He's not played much proper golf so playing that course was always going to be brutal. I gave him a lot of stick about being a hacker but his 'Break 75' series was really good to watch and you can see the difference playing on a regular basis makes to him. Looking forward to seeing the next one at some better courses hopefully.