Shotgun start order of play

Tennyman

Visit site
Hi all, We play on a 9 hole course with 18 Tees. Does anyone know the correct way of playing 18 holes on such a course with a shotgun start. That is does, a fourball starting on the 5th play the logical way 5-9 then 10 - 18 and finally 1-4 as on the card or should they play 5-9 than back step on the card to 1-4 then 14 - 18 and finally 10 - 13 just to finish the "front nine" first before the "back nine" in case there is a "count back" done to split scores?
I would be very interested to read anyone's views on this especially as I cannot find a ruling either with the R&A nor England Golf/Congu.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Up to the organisers to set, and publish, the procedure - and they should definitely do so to avoid confusion by participants.

Count-back is normally (but not compulsory) on actual course/card holes - back 9 (6, 3, 1 if equal). So starting hole in the shotgun is irrelevant.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't see any reason to not play in the order of the card, like every other round of golf is played, 5-9 then 10-18 then 1-4.

The only reference in the rules would be something that stipulates that the holes should be played in the correct order.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As BtatHome has outlined, the bit you are missing is in the definitions section of the Rules of Golf.

The "stipulated round" consists of playing the holes of the course in their correct sequence, unless otherwise authorized by the Committee. The number of holes in a stipulated round is 18 unless a smaller number is authorized by the Committee.

It follows that your example 4 ball should follow what you outline as "the logical way"

Tennyman

Visit site
Many thanks duncan. To repeat what I have replied to Foxholer and BtatHome. I can certainly see a consensus among the replies that the "Logical Way" is the way we should play it. But if the organisers wish to do something different then they may if they announce it beforehand!

Tennyman

Visit site
Many thanks Foxholer. To repeat what I have replied to duncan Mackie and BtatHome. I can certainly see a consensus among the replies that the "Logical Way" is the way we should play it. But if the organisers wish to do something different then they may if they announce it beforehand!