Shortening Driver Shaft

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Does anyone have any experience in having their driver shortened. I am very inconsistent off the Tee and I'm thinking of getting my Old Nike Dymo Regular shaft driver shortened by an Inch from 45.75 to 44.75. This should make it play stiffer and hopefully standing closer to the ball will improve my accuracy.

Has anyone had any success failure with this?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i asked a club maker to shorten my dads driver and he said that it will effect the swing weight, i dont even know what that means.......

why not wait a few weeks and buy a rbz 3 wood. almost as long as a driver and will soon be cheap as chips

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I took 3/4 inch off a driver last year and, to be honest, it made absolutely no difference at all.

But then I'm rubbish with a driver in my hand most of the time so I don't know what I was expecting to happen....

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers gusy. Sounds promising so far ;-)

I hit my 3w well off the deck and the tee. Was (still am) just hoping the shorter shaft will help me find the fairway more often.

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
Had mine cut to 44.5" last year & yes it made a big difference, I hit more fairways & am noticeably straighter off the tee with it. Oh and the ball goes further as a bonus.
Try it & see, you can always have the length put back if you don't get on with it.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mike - At last a glimmer of hope ;-)

Chumpalot - A little bit of everything. My normal shot is a fade, main miss is left to right, (push slice). I will also drag one left, every so often.

My 3w is lowish, with a slight draw. That is my Driving Dream

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This one's a slightly strange question in that you can grip down 1" on the club to establish pretty fundamentally if it's going to do what you want.... ie you can reduce the uncertainty (and replace opinion with certainty).

Yes the final removal of the 1" will change the swingweight of the club a little further, but you can regrip with a different (weight) grip and get back to exactly the same point (or regrip a club with a different grip and get a bigger difference without realising what's happened!).

Get some white, or bright, electrical tape and mark 1" on your grip - now play with it that way, ensuring your grip is clear of the tape everytime.

evaluate

decide

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've done this with a driver shaft. It didn't really work, It made it rather stout (was already a Stiff) and it wouldn't kick right.

If you're going to do this, take it to a club fitter to be done properly.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers for all the replies everyone.

Its as much a test as anything, I like the club but feel its to whippy and hopefully this will stiffen it up. Its costing £12 including the price of the grip and the club lies in the cupboard at the moment.

I certainly think its worth a bash and was just asking the question. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers