Short putting woes

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I consider myself a pretty reasonable putter but some rounds I have 2 or 3 missed putts from 2 foot'ish. I usually miss the first couple by pulling the shot left and then (if I do it again) by pushing the next one right. I know that the push comes as an antidote to the pull but has anyone got a really useful tip to sink these consistantly.

Chris

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I now swear by a practice putt above the ball to get a better feel for line and gives me confidence to hit the putt hard enoiugh to take the break off them.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I consider myself a pretty reasonable putter but some rounds I have 2 or 3 missed putts from 2 foot'ish. I usually miss the first couple by pulling the shot left and then (if I do it again) by pushing the next one right. I know that the push comes as an antidote to the pull but has anyone got a really useful tip to sink these consistantly.

Chris

:D :D :D

Without seeing you putt it's a bit tricky to say but.....
If you're missing it left, it's either your aim or you're turning your shoulders pulling the putt and the miss right is swinging the arms away from the body.
Try and keep your arms close to your body and rock your shoulders, dont turn them. :)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
practice putting against a rail - this is another of the 101 uses of the V-Easy.

set the V-easy on its side and fix in position with a couple of tees. set up with the toe of the putter just off the rail - it will soon show up any tendency to 'arc' the stroke.

works indoors too - putt along a skirting board, but have touch up paint handy.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

Chris

Chris i got a great tip from a mate of mine off single figures that seems to work for me.....
If you normally address the ball with it slightly forward of centre....Instead move your left leg(if your right handed) closer to the hole......It has a weird effect actually making the hole appear even closer than it is.Provided your stroke is pretty sound...It may work for you...It has for me...I rarely miss 2 or 3 footers now...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Chris

You must be living the old nightmare I had all too often.

I use a "line-up" black line on the ball these days. Why? - because I always read putts left. First few games with it lined up, I felt 99% sure I was aiming right, but I wasn't.
Try it. I would miss a few left and then compensate by aiming right and then pushing it.....sound familiar?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your advice, I particularly like the Kid2 suggestion of widening the stance but will take all on board.

Thanks

Chris

Split_Fairway

Assistant Pro
Visit site
try focusing on a spot between the putter and the ball instead of on the ball. its easier to keep your head still looking at a stationary spot and listening to hear the ball drop than looking at the ball. also try to hit the back of the cup rather than trickling the ball into the hole and above all dont allow your stroke to decelerate. having a shorter backswing and a longer throughswing helps to avoid that

S

Snelly

I bet you are looking for the ball to drop. Listen, don't look.

Good post.

I have done this for years and believe it is the single best putting tip that exists. A definite quick fix to improving the quality of strike on putts of any length.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I practiced hard on Wed, incorporating many of the tips here and there was a real improvemnt.

I weakened the left hand grip, felt that the left hand was pushing the club away and the pulling it through the ball to target, stayed still and didnt look, and sunk loads of short putts - now for Sundays comp!!

Thanks all

Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've switched to an 'Allenby' style pencil grip on short putts and I'm loving it. Whenever I have a putt that I consider should be made I'll use it.

For all other putts I'll use my normal grip as it gives me a better feel for pace.

So I use TWO grips - odd huh? :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I use TWO grips - odd huh? :)

You wouldn't be the only one. My "pro-prescribed" putter grip doesn't include having the left hand index finger placed over the right hand....but for short-range stuff, I always do this.
So that's two. I have been known to go cross-handed as well.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's always one! <wink>

I'm inventing 8 more grips to use as I type!

Well, let me offer
1) 50 yard texas wedge on links course.....100% normal golf grip
2) 10-20 foot nasty right to left......reverse overlap
3) putting off the fringe.....split-handed and grip down to the metal and hit it a fraction thin.

I'm always messing around/experimenting....it's in my character.