short game woes

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Dont agree with your point 1.
If your follow through is longer than your backswing, you will lose control of the distance the ball goes.

I am with oddsocks (and dave peltz) on this one if you vary the backswing but follow through remains a constant you can control the distance easier without worrying about slowing down mid swing.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Leave yourself 100 yards instead of 50.

Good advice, if need to nurse your way around with a card in your hand.

Bob's given some great advice there. I'd just head down to the range with a couple of wedges and hit 100 balls with them.

If you've had a bit of a mare, you need to get a good chunk of balls under the belt (so to speak) to give you back the confidence.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

My reply

the ball should sail up into the sky and land softly on the green 40-50 yards away.
If the flag is closer, change to a SW or LW OR shorten the backswing.

Clear enough I thought.

[/QUOTE]

Yes you say that and like I said I read it in the post but I just don't see the need to say same lengnth backswing or mirror image at all it is contradictory to the acceleration through the ball tip.

You can tell yourself to accelerate all you want but with that mirror image in mind your subconscious will slow down your hands to avoid flying the green.

If all he ever had to perform was a 50 yard or 30 yard chip then yes mirror image with a diffirent wedge would do the job but that will never be the case so I just did not think it was a helpfull image to put into his head when chipping/pitching.

[/QUOTE]

How come you are such an expert but dont even have a handicap :D :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont agree with your point 1.
If your follow through is longer than your backswing, you will lose control of the distance the ball goes.

I am with oddsocks (and dave peltz) on this one if you vary the backswing but follow through remains a constant you can control the distance easier without worrying about slowing down mid swing.

Exactly, I now know 1/3 of a back swing at the bottom of the grip is 25 yards, 1/2 a back swing an inch further up the shaft is 50, and hands a little lower than you'd play for a full shot and 3/4 swing is 75 yards, but the follow through remains a full follow through on the two longer distances with a 3/4 follow through on the shorter one. It looks weird but is super consistent

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

not an expert just expressing an opinion you can take it, leave it, or shove it up your arse for all I care just wondering what exactly it has to do with you?

Nice attitude do you react like that whenever you are asked a question?

And you are arguing with a PGA pro so there shove that up your arse.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk

not an expert just expressing an opinion you can take it, leave it, or shove it up your arse for all I care just wondering what exactly it has to do with you?

You question my attitude when you come from nowhere in the debate to call me out and try and belittle me?

I have always expressed my opinions and always listen to other peoples in turn no matter who they are. I know bob is a PGA pro I also know two others very well one is a friend and one is my coach and we discuss ideas and sometimes we disagree, this process we all believe is key to constant improvement both with my game and their techniques. I did not realize it was such a problem for me to express an opposing view to someone else but to you it obviously is.

Excuse me if I came across as a little short but your first post did not come across as much of a question, there was certainly no question mark just a childish statement and a couple of silly faces. Like I said you offered nothing else to this thread but decided to try and put me down. I would never accept a comment like yours in person without comeback and I certainly will not accept it here.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

You question my attitude when you come from nowhere in the debate to call me out and try and belittle me?

I have always expressed my opinions and always listen to other peoples in turn no matter who they are. I know bob is a PGA pro I also know two others very well one is a friend and one is my coach and we discuss ideas and sometimes we disagree, this process we all believe is key to constant improvement both with my game and their techniques. I did not realize it was such a problem for me to express an opposing view to someone else but to you it obviously is.

Excuse me if I came across as a little short but your first post did not come across as much of a question, there was certainly no question mark just a childish statement and a couple of silly faces. Like I said you offered nothing else to this thread but decided to try and put me down. I would never accept a comment like yours in person without comeback and I certainly will not accept it here.

Jeez I asked you a question and you take the hump get over it, and yourself, and stop being so precious.

The reason I have not contributed anything to this thread is because I dont feel remotely qualified to answer questions on someone elses game, there are enough experts (pros and very good players here to do that) but you feel free to throw your oar in, and I must remember never to ask you a question again.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the problem here is everyone wants to help.
We had a thread recently in the 'ask the experts' section and a 28 h/capper who was new to the game was giving advice to a guy off 10.

As far as the original OP goes, there are many ways to play these short shots and you only have to look on Youtube to see conflicting advice from 'the experts'.

Fred couples would probably go for the long lazy swing whereas Ian Poulter would more likely play the short sharp zip through the ball.
Can you say one is right and the other wrong?

As I said previously, do what you feel comfortable with.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ach well, thanks for tips and ebtertainment, but I went to the range today, and I am still strugglin. i am going to get a lesson and see if that helps, but i think it in my head, no confidence, :(

Or maybe my wedges are incorrect, will ask the pro i think!
Cheers again

JT