Short Game Practice

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest what king of distance out would you look to use this approach, from 50 yards I would normally use a shorted swing with a normal swing set up, then getting to 30 yards I would use an open stance similar to the one described. The question being is this the kind of approach you would look at or if different how would it differ?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can only speak in general terms, but the very slightly open stance you'd use for most shots that don't require a weight shift, so wouldn't require a hip clearance as a full shot would. To what distance depends how efficient & connected (body turn to arm swing) the swing motion is to start with.

I would be slightly open for most pitch shots under 120 yards for instance (but slightly open for all chip shots), unless I was particularly wanting to hit a lower slightly draw shaped pitch then sometimes I might square up the stance some, though not always, depends on the shot how the ball lays.

For instance for an 80 yard pitch, ball center stance with a 52º gap wedge, I'd be slightly open, have my hands choked down to the middle of the handle. & use a swing motion (body turn & arms connected) that goes from left arm horizontal on the backswing. (so hands to around just above waist high, on a clockface that would be from 3 to just past 10 on the through swing)

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That makes scene thank you,

Really about how much weight shift you feel you need and I guess if at all possible if you can use the limited weight shift you can reduce the margin for error and increase the accuracy of the shot so sometime maybe easier to take a little more club and an easier swing.

I had two instances this weekend from 95 yards where I took a full swing and bunkered the shot where as if I limited the weight shift and effort I could of increased the accuracy by simply taking more club, i guess this may become an issue of you need a higher shot to stop quickly if there is a obstruction so you cannot land and roll out.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
for smaller distances a well connected body/shoulder rotation to the arm swing will provide enough energy for a properly centered strike to go the distance required with accuracy. as it's not extra distance your trying for, but direction & consistent distance control.

it's just about practice to learn what the players own particular swing motion yields in terms of distance. (re clock face swing length positions with PW,GW,SW or LW if the player uses one, plus where on the handle the hands are, so could be 2" from steel, or the middle of handle, or the longer shots normal hand position on the handle, the same swing length would give 3 different distances across one club, so 9 different reliable distances across 3 clubs)

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is great thank you.

Now just becomes a case of getting some practice in and seeing which club is most consistent, just because your SW goes 80 yards maybe an easy swing with your GW may give you better accuracy

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two key things...

Technique- Has to be consistent and solid

Variety- Hit off as many different lies with as many different clubs from as many distances.

No benefit at all from hitting the same shot over and over and even worse if it is with varying technique every time!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is great thank you.

Now just becomes a case of getting some practice in and seeing which club is most consistent, just because your SW goes 80 yards maybe an easy swing with your GW may give you better accuracy

Develop your technique by practicing with all the pitching clubs for pitch shots, then you have a good variety of shots & the confidence to use them given the shot in front of you.

Likewise learn to chip not just with the wedges but 9i, 8i, 7i, (but have the hands halfway down the handle with these slightly longer clubs for better control) as there will be chip shots you need to get the ball on the green or tight apron & the run out along the ground for most of the distance to the hole etc. Smaller shots around the green even if you use a wedge choke down to middle of the handle for much better control of the swing motion.

Same overall technique, chest rotation & arms control the pace of the swing much more reliable & repeatable, smooth connected continuous acceleration through the ball, not independent hit with the hands/wrists as it's virtually impossible to control distance & speed this way.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks 'The Coach'

Should be able to get a good few hours on the practice ground this week, planning to have a good go at this. Had a little play in the garden tonight with ok results just need to practice more

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a practice with this technique today while playing a round, worked quite well, did find I got quite a bit more height on the ball compared to my old technique. Going out tomorrow to try again.

Thank you all for your advice

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a practice with this technique today while playing a round, worked quite well, did find I got quite a bit more height on the ball compared to my old technique.

Good, just make sure as you work on it, your hands get to the ball first in the motion, so they lead a slightly forward leaning shaft as the body/chest turn controls the pace of the downwards through ball swing motion, plus weight on left leg, so ball first ground second.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a full practice round in today, played the hole as normal then when I have missed a green played the par 4 game, worked really well. Made a few more than I normally would and the second ball helps to develop the feel.

The only thing I need to build this into now if the pressure of a comp.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the Midweek Stableford today, was really pleased no doubles and a good few up and downs to give me 41 points hopefully a nice cut coming my way.

Thanks again guys for the tips and advice.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in the Midweek Stableford today, was really pleased no doubles and a good few up and downs to give me 41 points hopefully a nice cut coming my way.

Nice. :) Well done.

I've only just found this thread. I use the hybrid chip from time to time... it's very useful and is a curious choice of shot as I would say what you lose in up and downs (%), you gain in almost never hitting a real "fail" shot.