Short Game Practice

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the last few weeks it has become clear to me the thing holding me back is my short game, more to the point ten yards round the green. I'm not putting great but then again i'm so often not giving myself a chance.

I really am not getting enough up and downs.

What practice routines do people use to tighten this area up?

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do not have a set routine but I just practice on our short game area. I will normally have at least 10 chips before moving on to putting on the other green (before a comp round). If I need more practice or have more time I just stay at the chipping greens.
I will go up just to practice and may not even go out for 18 (maybe do a few) if it is needed.

When it comes to 'technique' I really only use (and practice with) one club from about 100 yds & in. For me it is a 56* Vokey.
I imagine how the ball will react on landing depending on the distance, slope etc. I then pick a landing spot and play to land the ball on it. If you keep landing where you want then it is going well, if you are not close enough to the pin you are picking the wrong landing zone (again assuming you land where you thought was correct!)
Through time you then know how the ball reacts at certain distances and conditions.

I like this method as it keeps options simple but VAST enough to cover most shots. You constantly play the same club / shot so you get better and more confident.
When greens get fast / hilly you just pick a landing spot to allow more running like a putt. When they are soft you can toss it to the hole.

Pick a club you like (7 ~ 60*) and practice with the same ball.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks John,

I normally only use my 56* vokey for most shots, I have of late really struggled when on the fairway just short of fringe where I have been trying a neutral setup and an iron depending on carry needed depends on iron.

This has helped a little but maybe I just need more practice

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but I don't understand the one club idea. Use the best club for the job, practice with everything from a 7iron to a 60wedge. The more shots in the locker the better. Also try with a hybrid as well.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but I don't understand the one club idea. Use the best club for the job, practice with everything from a 7iron to a 60wedge. The more shots in the locker the better. Also try with a hybrid as well.

This is what I was trying, to select the club that would land just on the green then run out to the hole therefore hopefully giving a greater margin for error in an easier shot, I currently just do not appear to be very good at it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to use a lot of my clubs from the 58 wedge down to a 6 or even 5 iron and just work on feel and speed. I got way too bogged down on technique(s) and tried to may things to find a short game stroke. These days I have the club in the centre of a stance with the hands level or marginally in front and swing back and through and trust the loft and bounce to do the job. If I get out of sorts I just get the V-easy out. I tend to make sure I practice from a number of lies and not just from decent ones

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you use an alignment stick you can hold the stick under the grip so the length over the top of the handle matches the length of the 'chip-stick' he uses, so then you can simulate the same feel & physical reminders through the stroke.

[video=youtube_share;ZDq78Z7EjOU]http://youtu.be/ZDq78Z7EjOU[/video]

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks 'The Coach'

Second video is very interesting, more on the position he has is one I have struggled with just short. He is taking a PW here to me that seems to be quite a lot of loft compared to what I have been trying. Below is the video for the technique I have been trying (I have to say with limited success), my old technique was a slightly open stance weight forward and more loft likely to be my 50*.

[video=youtube_share;dTy2Aqf5ZCY]http://youtu.be/dTy2Aqf5ZCY[/video]

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That is a really good video thanks, I think I am taking the advice too far and using too little loft causing me to under hit the ball by way of being nervous of sending the ball way too far through the green. The problem I have more than anything is not a duff or thin as such just not giving myself a chance with the putt by still leaving over 6 foot or so too often.

Will get myself an hour or so to practice this , one question that is not mentioned is are the feet pointing adjacent to the target or set to the side to allow room?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is a really good video thanks, I think I am taking the advice too far and using too little loft causing me to under hit the ball by way of being nervous of sending the ball way too far through the green. The problem I have more than anything is not a duff or thin as such just not giving myself a chance with the putt by still leaving over 6 foot or so too often.

Will get myself an hour or so to practice this , one question that is not mentioned is are the feet pointing adjacent to the target or set to the side to allow room?

You'll find it a little easier if the left foot is drawn back but only a little ways & the foot is more around pointing at 11 on a clock face with the right foot at 90º to the ball target line so pointing at 12 on the clock face. Weight around 60%/75% on the left foot & stays that ways through the whole swing motion to impact, no weight transfer back to the right foot at all as it's about accuracy not distance.

The very slightly open stance allows the space to be there already for the arms hands & club to come through the motion, the engine for distance control of the connected swing is the chest/body rotation (not an independent arm hands motion as that's a ways too unpredictable to be consistent) as there's no weight transference there's no hip clearance move either so if you were set up exactly square to ball/target line at address the swing motion would be slightly blocked.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You'll find it a little easier if the left foot is drawn back but only a little ways & the foot is more around pointing at 11 on a clock face with the right foot at 90º to the ball target line so pointing at 12 on the clock face. Weight around 60%/75% on the left foot & stays that ways through the whole swing motion to impact, no weight transfer back to the right foot at all as it's about accuracy not distance.

The very slightly open stance allows the space to be there already for the arms hands & club to come through the motion, the engine for distance control of the connected swing is the chest/body rotation (not an independent arm hands motion as that's a ways too unpredictable to be consistent) as there's no weight transference there's no hip clearance move either so if you were set up exactly square to ball/target line at address the swing motion would be slightly blocked.

That's great thank you

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Great thread. I chip ok, but could improve. My golf is time limited, I might get to practice once a week and play once a week, so getting proficient is slow progress. I was looking at my wedges the other day and a thought struck me. Like most I have Vokey style blade wedges to chip with, probably the most difficult clubs to use well, all the time. Unless you can devote lots of time and practice to really hone your technique you can be blading and chunking stuff all over the place, with the odd pro style chip appearing now and then.

On Saturday, I took my stock Ping G10 S/W to the chipping area and chipped with that. It's a big old cavity back head, with a huge sole and loads of bounce. My chipping was fab, strike and distance control massively better. The strike is so much more consistent, you don't have the fine feel that some may desire, but if you want consistency of strike and don't have time to spend hours with your Vokey's that big old cavity back lurking in your shed may be the answer.