Short backswing

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes me it works a gooden. almost all the trainee pros i see at the range have short backswings. looks well tidy and does the job good too.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive adopted a shorter swng this past year and a bit, seems to be working fine now, I cannot wait for the new season to start, I was getting a little disillusioned towards the end of last year.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
i've slowed my backswing down which i believe has shortened it. the result is i am swinging much smoother rather than a hack and my percentage of crap shots has decreased dramatically.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
has ernie els not shortened his back swing as well?

sure i heard the commentators saying that yesterday.

so if pro's do it, it can't be a bad thing.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never had a long one (backswing that is).

Every shot I play is with a 3/4 swing and it works absolutely fine for me. The minute I try and make a longer backswing it just doesn't feel right at all. Had a few lessons last year and the Pro commented that I had a very compact swing that generated all the clubhead speed i'd ever need and that i'd be daft to try and change it.

Just goes to show, length isn't everything ;)

DHM.

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
Shorten back swing or 3/4 swing works for me gives me more control over the club and like as already been said it is alot smoother on the down swing.

Give it a try !

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i had a post last week showing you my pre season swing.(Horrible) a shorter and more controlled back swing is what i have been trying to practise in the spare room all week, playing today and i hope it will come good

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, divot......you bet! As a serial over-swinger (bent left arm and weak hands) I've been trying for years. Sometimes I can really feel it....great with short irons and general control.

I practice now and again with an izzo smooth swing, this strap system encourages certain things, and seems to stop the backswing going too far as well!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
after posting a rather lousy swing on here, the chaps told me i was overswinging and i shortend it. Now i feel more controlled and am more consistent with all the clubs. (still cack though) :D

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
Have a good one let us know how you got on.

Even with a shorten swing if your timing is right you will not lose that much distance but you should be more accurate

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
J.B Holmes has one of the shortest backswings I have ever seen and is the longest hitting pro??

All about turning your shoulders and hips into the ball while staying behind it.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I used to wrap the club round my neck almost until I had a lesson with my pro.

He immediately instructed me to shorten it.

I also found the ball actually went further whilst utilising a shorter more controlled swing.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have quite a long backswing but it generates me power. i know shorter is better but if you had to give john daly or phil mickleson a tip would you say to them hang on a min why not get a 3/4 length backswing?????
I know i wouldnt im learning setup is important and paying attention to the simple points in the game im starting to improve. Just my opinion anyway lol all play well

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was always told that if you spot the club head out of the corner of your left eye on the backswing it's gone too far.

Whenever I can force myself to shorten it a little I get more consistant results with no loss of power. Why isn't it possible to do this more often or all the time? because the little monster inside of us screams,' knock the skin off it!' at the wrong moment.

little bugger :mad: