Shermans....... A man in need of help!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Phew!

While your struggling it would be a good time for a game mes thinks!

Well unfortunately for you it was a 24hr bug, off to farleigh range at am today complete with 200 balls, armed with the knowledge of this place and a bag full of stubbornness they never stood a chance,

Weight on toes (not heels), grip neutral, swing plane steeper.........FIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Still a little high on the ball flight, but that's Fridays lesson objective, but into a cold head wind 8i dropping at 140, 6i about 160, 4i about 175/180, 2h carrying 200 and driver about 235 ish.........

Woud like to thank the doctors of the forum for their treatment, vids to come!

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After watching the 'before' and 'after' videos I have only 1 comment to make........ Do you not have any other T-shirts? :whistle:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did notice its still a touch flat, I want to work on compression so steepness should come with that hopefully. Tell ya one thing 250 balls yesturday and roughly the same today, I'm shot to bits!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A bit late into the thread but I would suggest the problem is where you fan the club open to the inside in the takeaway and then do not get it back square into impact, this lags the hozel into the ball.

All the other things are symptoms of this. Your brain knows the face is wide open and makes various adjustments to your posture to try and recover the shot. Take the club back to the halfway position without any wrist hinge or forearm roll.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suffer from lasting bouts of the shanks. Takes a while to not think about them after one, even more so on the course. I seem to hit most shanks with my 52* Wedge. What I do is to concentrate on the take away going back nice and square and then on the downswing to only concentrate on the contact and not where the ball will be heading.

My little drill for building back up confidence is to stand with my feet together and swing as normal. I find it very hard to shank while doing this.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with SocketR - the killer happens almost immediately on the back swing when you fan the club head inside with the wrists then make your turn

I would also suggest that there's too much unfocussed 'swinging' in the vids, so you probably do this both on the range and the course. Never make such movements that aren't part of your intended swing or you are j likely to duplicate them in the swing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I might aswell chip in......

You are simply swinging the club down FAR TOO MUCH outside the line... here's a pic (if it works)....

3903snk.gif

as you should be able to see above - there's no way you're going to get anything other than the hosel to the ball.

The question is WHY is that happening? and I don't think it has a sausage to do with what is happening with your clubface at the top of your backswing.... it's the downswing, and unfortunately it could be one of many things (poor weight shift, hands leaving the body, lazy left shoulder, right hip coming out too much) or a combination of many little things (which is why the shanks crop up for all types of players). What you need to ask (or resolve) is why is the clubhead coming so far outside the line when it's still 6" from the ball. My GUESS is that your not turning your upper body to the left enough whilst driving the hips... eg you're trying to steer your swing with your arms/wrists and your timing has simply gone to pot. The swing is driven by the body, you look like you're just trying to hit the ball with your arms. Your plane is pretty flat so a drill I'd suggest is actually address the ball with your clubface OUTSIDE the ball or with the ball sitting right by the hosel (so you're definitely going to shank it) then get the feeling of re-routing the club to the inside of the ball on the way down, that might mean you feel like you take the club away a little steeper and get the hands in a little tighter to your crutch on the way down.

Hope that helps... certainly the picture should give you a feel of what's going on.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The shermans come from a closed club face not open.

I dont think so! Address an iron behind the ball then twist the face open. See how the hozel is closing on the ball. Now twist it shut, the hozel is now moving away from it. The main problem is where the clubface is cutting across the ball from out to in and if the clubface is open then it's Armatige City!!!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I dont think so! Address an iron behind the ball then twist the face open. See how the hozel is closing on the ball. Now twist it shut, the hozel is now moving away from it. The main problem is where the clubface is cutting across the ball from out to in and if the clubface is open then it's Armatige City!!!
Mine were coming from a shut face also (Rorys coach did indeed get me the fix).