Shaping shots

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I've spent the last week or 3 trying to shape shots using my driver/3W/utility off the tee. After learning to use my driver last year and getting a fairly consitant straight & long flight I was averaging about 260-270yds off the tee.

Then over the winter I inherited a fade to my shot which was occasionaly a slice with my bad shot being a block left. I took some videos at the range and discovered my swing path had gone back to how it used to be with the driver, too steep and in to out, this coupled with me setting up with the clubface closed equalled the shots listed above.

Today I was out on the course and made a conscious effort to keep my backswing low (which was how I managed my nice & straight shots last year) and to open the club face more so that it was square at address, lo & behold I was hitting the ball straight again.

One of the holes was a right to left dogleg, so remembering how Bob told me last year to hit a draw, I aimed down the right and closed the clubface an hit an absolute peach of a draw around the corner. Wondering if it was a fluke and as nobody was behind me I put another 3 balls down and attempted the same shot another 3 times, 2 of which were excellent and one was ok. 3 holes later I wanted to hit another draw and did so again, then the very next hole I needed a fade.....could I do it? Could I hell!!!!

I tried the opposite of the fade, aimed down the left and opened the clubface right up which produced a slice and a lost ball, I also tried aiming straight and opening the clubface slightly but again this produced a slice, I put another 2 balls down to try but got the same results again, finally I tried going back to my old swing with a steep swingpath & in to out and hit a nice fade, but is this the correct way to do it?

My confidence in shot shaping is soaring at the moment, but i'd rather not learn the incorrect way how to shot shape, so can anyone (Bob) tell me how to intentionally fade a shot?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
LOL... you wrote the answer yourself above.. :)

Then over the winter I inherited a fade to my shot which was occasionaly a slice with my bad shot being a block left. I took some videos at the range and discovered my swing path had gone back to how it used to be with the driver, too steep and in to out, this coupled with me setting up with the clubface closed

To hit a fade you need the clubface closed a little to the target (as the ball starts to the left). Square or open will result in a slice. Then let your swingpath cut across from out-to-in. Just try not to get too steep.

:)

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To a draw I just push my back foot straight forward a bit (not closer to my left foot, forward in the direction of my toes). I then just swing as normal, draw every time. Only wish hitting it straight was so easy

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Hmmmmmmmm, there lies the problem. I'm nowhere near good enough to try chopping & changing between 2 different swing paths yet!!!!

I need to find 1 swingpath that works best and stick with it, I think i'll stick to being able to hit straight & a draw.

DCB

Visit site
When there is no pressure, most of us can hit almost any shot. The big thing is, can we do it under pressure when it really counts........... ;)

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not a great worker of a Driver, but love having to manufacture shot shapes with an iron in my hand.

My own simple method, with the clubface always square to the target:

Fade - left foot back a few inches. (promotes the out-in swing path)
Draw - Right foot back a few inches.(promotes the in-out swing path)

Usually works for me......

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Ever seen pros play? They hit it 95% of the time what you and me would call straight. A slight right to left or vice versa no more than 5 yards or so. Of course when they need to move it more they can but when they don't need to they don't. It makes me laugh when club players hit a raking hook down the tree line which ends up in the middle of the fairway and call it a draw. I've been trying for most of my life NOT to shape the ball to be honest.

Lindyhop67

Medal Winner
www.perfectequilibrium.co.uk
Remember also, when drawing or fading that your swing should be exactly like your straight swing i.e. in line with your shoulder direction; it's just that the shoulders (and body) are directed slightly left or right. The clubface should be square to the target.
The slice when trying to fade may be caused by you trying to 'open' your wrists to halp the fade. There's no need to do this...just swing easy and follow your body line.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It makes me laugh when club players hit a raking hook down the tree line which ends up in the middle of the fairway and call it a draw.

It makes me laugh even more when it doesn't hook and ends up about 30ft into the trees. Especially when I'm playing 'em in matchplay
;)