Shanks help needed - Desperation time!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago out of no where i had a bout of shanks set it, it only seemed to be with my 52*/58* wedges when playing shot lobby style half swing pitches. After a thread on here it seemed it was caused by my open address and the ball being to far back in my stance, moved it forward and all was done.... until last night.

Went to the range with a mate and i couldnt hit anything. Shanking all my wedges and back to about a 9i, striking on the ball was that of which any high 20's capper would be ashamed of and to be honest i could have sold the clubs on the spot,

I chacked i wasnt coming from the inside which seemed to be online, checked i wasnt back to the old flat swing which seemed fine. Checked my grip, check i wasnt to far or too close to the ball... couldnt see anything wrong.

Commons shot shape was either a slight hook or just a straight out shank, but at all times the strike was very flat.

Meant to be playing the addington tomorrow but need to get this sorted and tonight if possible,.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Baz

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Are you decelerating through the swing? I found that with a half-swing the tendency was to swing more with the arms and less with the body, thus leading to an armsy deceleratey swing.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As crazy as it sounds tim, the swing did feel a big handsy and uncommitted. but no matter what i did it just felt like i was digging a deeper hole.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I've been playing golf most of my life and had never shanked a ball in my life ....until last night! 3 in a row, much to the amusement of my playing partners.Although since last year (after my break from the game) it's been coming, with a few near misses! I seem to have developed a tendency to come over the top (casting), especially when i'm getting tired.

Anyway, my take on it is it's an out to in swing, with a closed face. It's actually the opposite of what you would imagine.

The way i combat it is to smooth everything down and make sure you're coming at the ball FROM the inside (slightly). A slight pause at the top of the swing, and then a controlled, compact start to the downswing keeping that right arm in.

I don't know if this is any help to you, but i promise you it works for me every time.

I can still hear those b£stards laughing

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the comments lads, i think a bucket of balls and some "me time" at the range tonight may put me straight, the thing is if im honest i went to the range with alot on my mind work wise, and with someone else there felt slightly pre occupied with the surroundings.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I find that shanking is connected to my hips. If I get a bit armsy, then there is no where for my hands to go but out. If I keep my hips clearing through, then I have room to swing, and the ball comes out of the middle. Wooden legs is the killer for me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
murph , thats interesting as ive always linked shanks with swaying through the ball, last night i was a rigid as i could be and it go worse.

im glad ive thrown all the sharp knifes in the dispatch area or i could be into some self harming today.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
This'll sound stupid, but address the ball with the heel of the club. If you're getting a bit armsy with half shots then i'd bet that you're moving your hands away from your body a bit during your downswing. Addressing the ball with the heel of the club will give you a reminder not to do this or you'll miss the ball completely :D

Or maybe you'll kill the person standing 45 degrees to your right.

Either way, good luck :)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
havent had one in ages .. until Glaseady last sat , one with 58* then a real beaut with my 6 iron .. WOW .. Chris & John looked as shocked as i did ha ha , a real corker it was.. on the par 3.. straight right .. last i seen of the ball .. the 2 lads stood behind & to the left of me after that one

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
havent had one in ages .. until Glaseady last sat , one with 58* then a real beaut with my 6 iron .. WOW .. Chris & John looked as shocked as i did ha ha , a real corker it was.. on the par 3.. straight right .. last i seen of the ball .. the 2 lads stood behind & to the left of me after that one

I had forgotten about them! Even then it wasn't too safe! I find if my head comes up way early it results in a monster shank

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Happend to about 3 forum members in Jan/Feb

Mine was because I was swinging flat, I still struggle with being to flat, even after curing it once I still seem to go back that way!

A professional will see it instantly, I recommend a lesson for this one!

The only way I can explain is, try and be steep, really steep as in hands above your head not by your shoulders at the top and feel as if you come down on that line trying to slice a shot thats sitting down so needs a steep approach.

Worked twice this year for me :D