Shame on you PGA.....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if I'm missing something somewhere? One goes to a teaching pro, and they teach you to hit a draw, or a fade or whatever (usually whatever in my case). Does it much matter if the science behind the technique was flawed. I mean - I assume that these "thousands of pro's" were indeed actually teaching golfers to play golf shots? ("Sorry sir, but you're the 250th client this year who I haven't taught anything - I'd best go & check the manual again...)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you are taught to aim the clubface at the target and swing from the inside-out then you will miss the target to the left EVERY TIME.

The only time it won't (and this happens a lot) is when you don't manage to square the face and it actually starts a little further to the right than you intended, but if you are trying AND capable of squaring the face you'll be kicking yourself. That method actually penalises the person who can actually do what he's told.

The Poulter/Rose example is kind of worse as the inside-out will be more pronounced and you're more likely to hook it... but then again with your back slightly to the target it's unlikely you'll even make a full turn.

It's just a case of getting an OK result by accident rather than by intent. There's a right way and a wrong way, especially if you are teaching someone don't you think.

Put it this way, if you take your car to the garage because it's pulling to the left is it fixed when it comes back pulling to the right?

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
So why then, 80 years later, is golf now deemed to be a highly technical exercise requiring thousands of pounds of equipment and a detailed understanding of the latest theory on golfing biomechanics?

Because everyone has got better at it. Bobby Jones achievements were incredible in his time, but put him in todays era and he'd struggle to win a tournament.